16- GIVE IT YOUR ALL《August 2, 1899》

Wednesday- August 2, 1899

"So, when's da others comin', kid?" Skittery asked. We all stood around the statue in Newsies Square. All that was there was Manhattan and Brooklyn. We were dead.

"They ain't coming. Ain't gonna be nobody but us," Jack announced.

Blink begged, "Come on, Jack."

"Have hope, Jack," I said. Les quietly walked to the edge of the square.

"When the circulation bell starts ringing, will we hear it?" He sang.

"Nah." I joined him. "What if the Delancey's come out swingin', will we hear it?"

"No!" Les gasped.

"'Atta boy!" Race said. He came up and messed up mine and Les's hair. We both scowled at him.

"When you've got a million voices singing, who can hear a lousy whistle blow? And the World will know!" We all turned and saw thousands of kids skipping work. They came and joined us in the square. I turned and saw other newsies coming. I cheered along with my friends.

We had spent the rest of the night and into the next day passing The Children's Crusade around to anyone who would take it. Hoping kids would come, we met up in Newsies Square. We all began to sing.

"The World will feel the fire and finally know! Strike, strike, strike!" Everyone began cheering. Jack picked up Les and put him on his shoulders as we pushed through the crowd. Right in front of the doors to the World building was a line of policemen. The doors opened and a man walked out. He gestured to me, Jack, and Davey. We followed him and walked inside.

"Mornin', gents!" Jack grinned as he slapped our paper on Pulitzer's desk.

"You're behind this," he spat. "I promised that if you defied me, I'd break you. I'll keep that promise, boy. Now, I gave you a chance to be free. I don't understand. Anyone who doesn't act in their own self interest is a fool." Pulitzer was going crazy over our paper, and not in a good way.

"Then what does that make you?" accused Davey.

Pulitzer looked between us three, confused. "What?" he questioned.

"Oh, this is our pal, Davey. The walkin' mouth," I proudly announced.

"We had a deal!" Pulitzer screamed.

"And it came with a money-back guarantee." Jack threw the rest of the money he was given on the table. "Oh, and thank you for the lesson on the power of the press." He stood back up and grinned at me.

One of Pulitzer's secretaries grabbed our paper and started reading it. "Did you read this, boss? These kids put out a pretty good paper! Very convincing," he mumbled.

"Written by Denton I presume." Pulitzer wearily rubbed his forehead.

"An' your very own granddaughter. I would sign her before some other pape grabs her." Jack slung his arm over my shoulders carefully.

Pulitzer stood up and slammed his hands on his desk. "I demand to know who defied my ban on printing strike-related material!"