Reconnecting

The next day, I stay home, hoping to just chill and eat cake all day. I just donned my light blue shorts and red shirt, obviously in the mood for down time.

I arrived on time to school yesterday. My dad had told Paul to come late because he needed someone to prepare breakfast for the Jacksons when they came. Oh, men...

I'm curled up on the living room sofa, reading a book. My mind is wandering to yesterday morning, when I first saw Michael Jackson. He seemed tired but quite interested when I was pouring coffee for everyone. I had felt a little embarrassed with him watching me, but now I'm wishing for it to happen again.

I can't take it. I get up and walk through the adjoining doors that lead directly to Dad's office. He's sitting there, papers piled on his desk and the typewriter shoved to the side.

"Anybody teach you how to knock?" Dad barks. I just sit down.

"So, it was nice seeing the Jacksons yesterday. Why were they here?" I begin. Dad takes off his eyeglasses.

"To discuss things," Dad replies cryptically. I nod.

"I just wanted to know. I think we should invite them again, that's all."

"Are you done?"

"No. Um... do you still talk to Michael Jackson often?"

Silence.

"Yes, why?"

"I didn't know you two were still in contact."

"I work at Motown Records. How the hell would I not talk to him?"

I shrug and smile innocently. "I just noticed."

"Do you have anything to say that is worth my time?"

"I'll leave you alone now." I close the door behind me, rolling my eyes. He doesn't have to be so rude, you know.

Jennifer and I walk down the stairs, dressed to the nines for shopping. We run into Dad, who's standing in the foyer with Joseph and Michael Jackson.

"Where are you two going?" Dad asks.

"Out shopping," Jennifer says. She's shifting from one foot to another.

"Why don't you two stay here?" Dad continues. I open my mouth to protest.

"Mr. Kennedy, I think your daughters just want to go and have fun," Michael says behind him. My father looks between all three of us.

"Well, if it's so important..."

"Thanks, Dad! Bye, Dad!" Jennifer sprints to the door.

"Thank you," I say to Michael. He nods at me.

Jennifer and I leave, taking our coats. Again, before I leave the door, I turn to look at Michael. He's already talking again with Dad and Joseph. I close the door, his image fresh in my mind.

"Let's go down the Boulevard," Jen suggests. "We need to buy something for Alessandra."

I can't stop thinking about Michael during the mall trip. I plead for us to go home after three hours. We return, laden with bags from boutiques and department stores. I dump my stuff in my room and rush downstairs into the living room.

Our housekeeper, Ines, is dusting the windowsill.

"Ines, did Michael Jackson leave?"

She shakes her head, pursing her lips against the dust. I breathe a sigh of relief and turn around. Michael is standing in the doorway, looking confused.

"Hey, I left my dad and your dad talking here. Now they're gone."

I look out the window. "Maybe they're taking a walk outside."

"Oh, yeah, probably. I'll go join them."

"Why don't you stay here?" I ask nicely. I really want him to stay.

"I mean, if it's okay, sure."

We both sit on the couch. The room is sunny with the curtains drawn back and the fragrance of roses fills the air.

"I've always loved coming to your house," Michael says.

My breath catches in my throat.

"Do you often stay here during the school year?"

"Yeah. Our driver drops me off and picks me up every day. I like school, I miss it already."

"You're lucky you get to go to college."

I smile. "I am."

"You're still so beautiful."

My cheeks flush

My cheeks flush. I'm happy with how this is going: much better than I thought. 

"Thanks. A lot of people now say I get it from my mom."

"She's a wonderful woman. I loved it when you introduced me to her."

"Mom's taking a break from her TV show. I can take you to see her."

"I'd like that." Michael pauses then smiles at me.

"Do you still have the same phone?"

I grin. "Yeah. The white one. You remember that?"

"How could I not? I practically used it all the time."

I laughed, happy to be talking with my old friend again.