The Start of Something Big (Fall II, 9th grade)

Although the boys had hoped to get together the next weekend, Danny had to go to the wedding. They were left to text and talk on the phone. The following weekend, Danny would be staying at Asher's.

At the start of the weekend, Dale picked Danny up early from school and drove him to Asher's. When they arrived, Danny threw his duffel bag from the car and jumped out, almost forgetting to say good bye to his father. Dale turned off the motor and began to get out of the car. Alan opened the door and waved at Dale.

"Have a great trip," he shouted.

"Thanks for taking care of Danny," Dale replied.

"I think it's more like Danny taking care of Asher," Alan said. Both men laughed.

Dale got back into his car and drove off. Danny picked up his duffel bag and brought it into the house. Just inside the doorway stood Asher—radiant with the prospect of two full days with Danny. Asher's father had promised to leave the boys alone—they would busy themselves, Asher had assured him. Alan was relieved to hear that. He was behind on a project that with a tight deadline, and not having to be concerned with keeping the boys busy during the weekend was a relief.

After a dinner of Chinese carry-out, Asher pulled out a chess set and the boys settled in for a night of games followed by a movie on Netflix. Something sappy for a Friday night would have been perfect. After Danny thrashed Asher in two straight games, he thought they might watch Love, Actually. Asher sat down on the leather couch in front of the tv, feet up on the coffee table. Danny dropped down next to him, feet tucked away underneath with his head settling on Asher's shoulder. Danny intuitively knew Asher wouldn't move away from him. When Danny's head first touched Asher, Asher turned his head to look at Danny. Surprised by Danny's action and not sure what to do, he asked, "Is something wrong?"

"No, not at all," Danny replied. As Danny's head sunk into Asher's shoulder, Asher took his arm and gently placed it around Danny. When he was sure that Danny had felt his arm and would make no comment about it, Asher took a deep breath and started the movie. He was happy. No, he was ecstatic. What he didn't know was how contented Danny felt.

Shortly after the movie ended, Alan appeared and told the boys that he was turning in for the day. Working on his project had exhausted him—his bed beckoned. He commented to Asher that he had set up the air mattress in Asher's room so Danny wouldn't have to sleep on the floor. With that, he disappeared for the night.

Danny sat up and looked at Asher with a devilish grin crossed his dimpled face. Asher didn't know how to read Danny's facial expression, at least not exactly. But it suggested that there was some fun to be had in short order.

Asher just shook his head in the direction of the stairs, and up to Asher's bedroom went both boys. When they reached the room, Asher turned on the lamp on his nightstand. The boys took turns brushing their teeth and stripping down to their briefs. As Danny was getting ready to throw some sheets onto the air mattress, Asher looked at him quizzically and asked, "Aren't you going to join me up here?" as he opened his arm towards his bed.

Danny stopped what he was doing, put the folded sheet back on the air mattress, turned while rising and, on tippy toes (Asher being the taller of the two), kissed a briefly surprised Asher firmly on his lips. What the kiss lacked in passion it made up for in firing up the animalistic hunger in each boy.

"I thought you'd never ask," said Danny cutely. Asher noted that Danny spoke with an almost child-like innocence, something he had not noticed before. Danny loved adventure, to explore, to experience.

"I didn't want you to feel pressured, Danny," replied Asher, a smile gracing his face even as he blushed.

"No pressure at all. None." Danny beamed.