Brown Eyes

September 3rd, 2013

Dear Brown Eyes,

It's the first week of high school ever for me. It was tough going through the day of our big school, fearing the upperclassmen because they would prank us or lie to us which way our classes were. 

I finally arrived at our period we had together and, me being the usual nerd, sat in the front of our science class. I was filling out the identical paper teachers have been giving us all day when... you sat behind me. 

Out of all the seats you could've chosen, you decided to sit behind me. 

I didn't think much into it at the time until halfway through the period our teacher instructed us to communicate with each other since we were going to be in the same room all year. I didn't think too much about the task we were given either because all day I sat alone and stayed quiet, scared to talk to anyone in case I would ruin a friendship right away (which happened a lot, sadly, with my awkward conversation skills). I doodled random drawings, in hope that time will pass quickly, when... you said hi to me.

Again. Out of all the people that are in our semi-full class, you decided to talk to me. 

I was confused and shocked that someone who looked as popular as you wanted to talk to me rather than the beautiful girl sitting next to you. I turned around to see a guy with gelled-up hair with a sincere, kind smile that reached his brown eyes. I smiled back without knowing, realizing how contagious your smiles are.

We slowly started a conversation after you noticed how unskillful I was with talking to strangers. You made me chuckle at your jokes, made me wonder in awe at your experiences that I somewhat wanted, and made me worried because of the extreme sports you do. When it was my time to respond, you were patient and cautious with how much you were asking.

I am highly grateful for the way you were treating me, even though we just met, since not that many people are understanding. Looking back at it now, that was probably what sparked my crush on you.

At the end of the period, I would say that we were just acquaintances, not using the term friends, yet, in case you would abandon me later in the week. Even though, it was surprising that I kept thinking about you throughout the rest of the day.

Thank you,

That One Awkward Girl