intro| the slip

Sierra Carter had never been more scared in her life

The time when she fell off the top of a slide at SixFlags when she was eight, couldn't beat this. Or the time when she moved across the world when she was ten, hadn't scared her like this.

Even when she watched her Father's body roll into an ambulance with two bulletholes in his head when she was nine, couldn't match the feeling of fear when it came to this.

"Sit down, Ms. Carter."

Sierra could feel her hands shake as she sat down, her fingertips brushing the edge of the table in the interrogation room. She came face to face with her supervisor, Agent Sara Khan. The reason for her nervousness was justified, as anyone in the Bureau knew that a meeting with Agent Khan meant you were in deep shit. No conversation with her ever ended well.

'You might as well hand over your badge now.' Sierra thought, her eyes burning into Agent Khan's own narrowed ones. The tension in the room burned thick, the brushing of a file ending the silence as it met Sierra's eyes from across the table. "Do you know why you're here?"

"No."

Agent Khan gave a threatening smile as her hand brushed the ominous file on the table. "When you submitted your security clearance four months ago, you stated that you had no siblings Ms. Carter."

Shit.

Sierra could feel her heart drop to the ground and back. "It's true. I don't."

Agent Khan pursed her thin lips into what looked like a solid line. Her black eyes staring into Sierra as if they were calculating her breathing patterns. Trying to catch the lie in every irregular breath of air. Knowing Agent Khan, she probably was.

"You know lying to the Bureau can result in your expulsion as an agent. Even on something as simple as a secret half-brother that you deigned to put on your own file." Khan raised a  brow, leaning back in her chair with her pantsuit still remaining impeccably crisp. "Why would you withhold that Thomas Carter is your brother?"

Half-brother, Sierra wanted to say but she kept her mouth shut. She couldn't lose her position as an agent-in-training at the Bureau. She didn't waste four years of her life training for this position, she didn't waste eight years before that across the world, waiting for her chance to become something.

"Thomas and I don't have a relationship." She said simply, watching as Agent Khan studied her. Technically, she wasn't lying. Her and Thomas had only met once, and that had been when her Father forced them to all go to a Yankee's game together. After that she never saw him again, only hearing his name whispered by gawking fan girls and on the top of tabloids.