Chapter 4/10 - "The Color of His Pool"

"Blue"

Chapter Four

'The Color of His Pool'

"I can't even remember the last time I skated like that," Demi said, her voice high-pitched with laughter. Just after her phenomenal performance on that expensive board, Demi was rushing with so much adrenaline that she'd caught an endorphin high. The second she was done skating, she met eyes with Joe, gave him a look that he immediately understood, and instantly the two of them began booking it back to the car. The dust kicked up beneath their feet as they ran, full-fledged speed, for no reason at all other than the fact that she just felt like it.

That was something that Joe really admired about Demi; she just straight up did whatever she wanted and didn't give a damn.

Panting once they'd met the driver's side of the car, at the same time, the two of them hopped in and Joe peeled off of the gravel terrain.

Demi laughed, turning around in her seat and tucking the boards in the back. Once settling back in her chair, she fastened her seatbelt, yanked up the recline handle and lied all the way back.

"Wow," she sighed, a large smile on her face. "That was so much fun."

"Did you see those kids' faces?" Joe remarked, and at this Demi giggled. "They were fucking mind-blown."

"Damn straight," Demi replied. Then, she turned to Joe, pointing at him. "And expect nothing less from Blue."

He grinned, glancing at her.

"I always knew," he said simply. "I just wanted to see if that girl I knew from high school was still in there."

Demi closed her eyes, feeling her heart rate begin to settle.

"Where else would she have gone?" She asked, matter-of-factly.

As Joe watched the road extend for miles ahead of him, all he could think about was the girl beside him. This was strange, given that she was right there, but he hadn't a moment to pause since he'd picked her up. Joe was ecstatic, not to mention appreciative. He'd finally scored a date with the girl of his dreams, and there she was, lying in the car beside him, smiling, having the time of her life.

Because of him.

He knew he had to be overthinking this; Blue was just being herself. But Joe had been in love with this girl since they were kids, and finally, for once, his imagination wasn't just his imagination.

And he was proud of himself.

"Blue," he said, and at the sound of her name, she opened her eyes.

"Yeah?"

"When was the last time you went for a swim?"

As Joseph raised his eyebrow, Demi sat up, responding only with a grin.

--

The grandiose gate of Joe's back yard lifted slowly, allowing him to park his Jeep in the rear of his home - which was just as stunning as the rest of his property. His driveway wrapped around his house, providing a path directly to the ominously lit turquoise swimming pool.

As Joe went to put the vehicle in park, Demi, who was the ill-impressed, prideful girl that she was, forced herself to pretend that she wasn't at all phased. In truth, she'd never seen Joe's new home before, and she was pleasantly surprised.

"When did you move here?" She asked. "What happened to your place out by The Meadows?"

Joe chuckled, turning off the car's headlights.