Chapter 8

"And you're sure you'll be alright?" Shin asked for what Reita was sure was the thousandth time.

"Shin, I'll be fine." Yankumi responded, also for the thousandth time, though her tone was starting to get a little annoyed. "It's not as if it's my first time on my own."

"This is different." Shin pointed out with a significant look at her midsection.

"Look, the baby isn't due for a month-"

"Three and a half weeks!" Minoru chimed in happily as he moved bags into the car, then wilted as Yankumi shot him a scathing look.

"The baby isn't due for another month," Yankumi emphasized, then turned back to Shin, "the last day of school is tomorrow, and you'll only be gone three days. And I'm not even going to be alone, because Saiga will be here!" The couple looked over as Reita gave a solitary wave. "Really, Shin. I'll befine."

Shin gave her a skeptical look, then sighed unhappily. Suddenly, he reached behind his neck and fumbled with something.

"At least promise me you'll wear this." He instructed, moving around her and fastening what Reita thought was a silver chain around her neck.

Her eyes widened as she looked down. "You can't give this to me!"

"I certainly can. And I want you to promise me you'll keep it on until I get back."

Irritation fading, Yankumi smiled up gently at her husband. "I promise."

Sighing again, Shin kissed Yankumi one more time before heading to the car. Kuroda-san came over to give Yankumi a kiss on the forehead, and the rest of the yakuza minions waved.

Suddenly changing directions, Shin headed towards Reita with a purposeful stride.

"Reita, I'm trusting you to keep an eye on her."

Reita grinned and gave a dismissive wave. "Yeah, I'll try, but if she tries to eat every slice of watermelon in the city again, I'm not sure how much I can do."

"I mean it, Reita."

His smile faded as he heard the seriousness in Shin's voice.

"I can't be here if something happens, so I'm counting on you."

Reita blinked, then suddenly thought of something. "Did you ask to stay?"

The annoyed sound Shin made as he glared at the heavens answered that question. "Apparently, if you call a meeting of the clans to talk about a possible threat, both the Kumicho and the Yodaime of each clan have to be present. Otherwise it's an all-out insult or something."

Tilting his head, Reita realized how worried Shin actually was.

"So, I want your word as a man that you will take care of her."

Nodding slowly, Reita answered, "I give you my word. I'll keep her safe."

Shin bowed slightly, gave Yankumi one last kiss, then joined the rest of the Oedo clan in their black sedan.

Yankumi and Reita waved at the car as it drove away, then looked at each other.

"I'm starved." Yankumi announced as they walked back to the house.

Unsurprised, Reita responded. "I'll order food. Do you want ramen?"

"You know what sounds good?"

Reita looked over hesitantly. Sometimes Yankumi's cravings were completely normal, but other times…

"Sushi."

Oh. That was normal enough.

"In ramen!"