Chapter 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN | The Curse

It had been quiet these past few weeks; too quiet. Apart from the drama between Niklaus and Hayley, everyone was doing good and that just didn't seem normal for a family like mine. Unfortunately, Niklaus found a way to bring the werewolf curse back to the remainder of Hayleys pack. It was an evil act but it allowed for Niklaus to have Hope and for Hayley to remain a threat to her own daughter. She was a full blood wolf all the days of the month except one; one day where she could see her daughter.

My suspicion had been growing stronger that something evil was coming and this time it wasn't Niklaus. A body turned up dead off the east valley alley way. It wasn't a casual killing, the man was purposely murdered. Someone killed him and they wanted to be known with the way they left the body with a tear from ear to ear forming a smile over the victims face. I hadn't seen anything like it but I knew nothing good could come of it.

Tonight was a gathering of Art lovers; Niklaus' Art to be more specific. Niklaus was having a party to view his paintings. I decided to attend considering my face was on many. My presence was made known fairly quickly when Niklaus' eyes shot over to mine before he slipped off the bar stool to make his way over.

"I suppose later is better than never." Klaus grinned. "But you are late in deed." He shook his head, twirling me into his arms.

I chuckled, pulling my hand from his grip. "Im just here for the show, and well we may have a problem as well." I said noticing a man was staring at me.

"Who's the douchebag racking me like I'm a stack of lamb? Old friend?" I asked folding my arms across my chest.

"Old acquaintance, nothing more". Niklaus assured me.

"Old acquaintance? You wound me!" The man shouted. I glared at him as I walked past Niklaus.

"Hello." I smirked grabbing his hand. I closed my eyes seeing he was oh, 1,000 years old or so. I looked him up and down as Niklaus grabbed my arm pulling me away. I frowned as we looked at one of his paintings of me.

"Lets chat about him later, what is your problem?"

"Someone tortured and killed a local, left the body right out in the open." I said quietly. "I think it was a vampire."

"Yes well vampire business is now Marcel's purview, or Elijah's when he's not busy loathing me. By all means, check with them." He rolled his eyes. I sighed as the man from before snuck up.

"What a beautiful painting." He smirked. I glared at him as I walked to a different painting.

As everyone began leaving I sat at the bar listening in on Niklaus' conversation with the new guy. "So you came all this way to deliver a warning?" Niklaus asked.

"Think about it, killing an Original, wipe out an entire species. Attempting goal, made more so that your family is divided and thus weaker than-" He began to say.

"My family!-Is hardly weak. In fact we are un killable, in fact the last of the white oak stake is gone." Niklaus spoke with fury.

"Your so sure it's gone? Every last splinter? Vanished for good." The man questioned. Niklaus chuckled grabbing his neck. "Lucien-- if you had even the slightest inkling, any fragment of white oak still existed, of course you would tell me." He glared.

"Easy, Nik. You are my sire, my fate is linked to yours. If you want to know what I'd do about the danger you now face, trust me enough to come with me. There is something you must see." Niklaus let him go and began walking with him. I finished my drink and followed, casting a spell on myself that makes me invisible.