Chapter 2

On seeing Rick, I leap over the back of the sofa and run to him, his arms are outstretched, waiting for me. I jump up, winding myself around him. I breath in his familiar scent, and although it's familiar, I haven't come across it in a while. He holds onto me tightly for a while, then slowly lowers me to the ground. He is still a good four or five inches taller than me, like he always has been. As my feet touch the ground, I can tell every eye is on us, not exactly knowing what happened. Rick and I say one thing.

"Burneywood."

Everyone goes back to what they were doing previously, including myself. I go back to Gus to finish his questionning.

"Who's Clarissa?" Gus starts off.

"Me, its just everyone calls me Izzy. I hate being called Clarissa," I tell him.

"Why are you here?" he asks.

"'Cause I had a fight with my foster brother."

"Why are you in care?" he asks. I suddenly stop in my tracks, my whole body tensing up.

"I-I don't want to talk about it." I say.

"Well you need to tell me." Gus persists.

"No I don't!" I say. "I don't have to tell you anything! Just..just leave me alone!" I stand up and run out of the door. Faintly I hear Rick saying something along the lines of 'well done', and a scattering of feet, but I don't hear anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I manage to find a door with a secluded stairwell, probably leading up to the attic. I don't worry about that though, I just sit down and let all the tears that have been built up in me fall. I don't even notice someone sitting next to me until they put their hand on my shoulder. I sniff and look up. It's only Rick. He and Tyler are the only carekids ever that have seen me cry, so I feel okay about it. He doesn't say anything, doesn't ask any questions, just pulls me onto his lap as I wrap my arms around his neck and cry onto his shoulder. When I'm all cried out, I sit back on the step, trying to bring my breathing back to normal, instead of the gulps and sniffs I'm producing. Rick stands up, and holds out his hand to me.

"What?" I ask.

"You've gotta come see Tyler," he says. I smile weakly, take his hand and he leads me to the garden, where Johnny and Frank are now playing football with Tyler. He sees me and runs over. I pull him into a hug.

"I heard you were here," he says. "Didn't believe it at first, but do now."

"I should hope you do!" I laugh. Rick is playing footie with Frank and Johnny.

"Oi, ready Izzy?" he shouts.

"What are you doing?" Frank asks.

"Yeah, not to be disrespectful or nothing, but girls here dont play football," Johnny says.

"You havent met Izzy," Rick smiles. "Ready Iz?"

"Yep!" I shout. He kicks the ball, and I bang it off my chest, bringing it to my knees, where I do a few keepy-uppys, kick it up, and header it into the goal. Johnny and Frank's mouths open wide in amazement. I laugh and walk over, closing each boys mouth. "You might catch a fly doing that," I laugh.

"Wow, you're good," Johnny said.

"Learnt from the best," I lightly punch Rick on the arm. "My football team."

"Oh, and there I was thinking you'd be nice to me," Rick lightly pushes me.

"Still supporting Man U?" Tyler asks.

"That's my team too!" Frank says.

"Awesome!" we hi-five.

"LUNCH!" A woman shouts from inside. We go in and everyone sits down. Once everyone exceot myself are seated, I take up the empty space next to Tyler.

"Who's that?" a little blonde boy says.

"This is Izzy. Izzy, this is Harry, Saphirre, Lily and Gina, our other careworker." Mike introduces us. Everyone says hello, then we resume eating our lunch. I see Rick and Carmen sitting next to each other, and making conversation. I wonder if they're going out. When I ran over to Rick she looked a bit jealous, but hey ho. I decide to ask Rick when I can. When lunch is over, Rick, Tyler and Mike help me carry my stuff to my new room. I unpack my clothes, then put all my posters and stuff on the wall. I took a photo frame from my bag, and put it in pride place on my nightstand. It was a picture of me, Rick and Tyler, and a happy time at Burneywood, in other words a miracle. We had gone on holiday to a campsite, and the three of us are stood their covered in mud, but smiling widely anyway. There's a knock on the door, and it opens to Rick. I gesture him to come in. He goes straight over to the picture.

"The Terrible Trio, eh," he laughs.

"Yeah," I say. "We had some times."

"Mhmm." Rick agrees. He comes over and stands in front of me, holding my hands and swinging them. He has a sort of distant look in his eyes.

"What're you thinking?" I ask, looking at him.

"I dunno," he shrugs and sighs. "I just..missed you I guess."

"I bet I missed you a million times more," I say. He pulls me in for a tight hug. I bury my face in his chest, trying to keep the moment. It doesn't last.

"WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------