Ch. 10: The Turning Point

Katherine was alive in a tomb, Emily Bennett possessed her descendant Bonnie to destroy a crystal that was needed to let her and 27 other vampires out, and Bonnie knew about vampires.

And us Salvatores were leaving Mystic Falls for good.

"So any idea of where you'll go?" Stefan asked me and Damon.

"I don't know," Damon said. "London, maybe. See some friends."

"You don't have any friends, Damon," I said.

"You're right, Kaylin. I only have you and Stefan." He turned toward us. "So . . where are we going?"

'We' are not going anywhere," I said with a shrug. "I'm gonna live my life as far away from you as possible, like I have for the last hundred years."

"But we're a team, Kay. We could travel the world together." He walked closer to me and Stefan. "We could try out for The Amazing Race."

"Mm," Stefan hummed. "That's funny. Seriously, where are you two going? Because we're not staying in this town."

We stopped when the doorbell ran, and Stefan looked at either of us as he went to answer it.

Sheriff Forbes was on the other side. "I'm here to see Damon."

"Uh, sure," Stefan said as I walked closer, Damon behind me. "Okay."

"Sheriff," Dad said. "What a surprise."

"Sorry to bother you," Sheriff said. "Be we need to talk."

"Come in."

Stefan and I waited inside on different couches as they went outside to the side of the house, both of us listening.

"I hope you understand the secrecy. Stefan and Kaylin don't know about this yet, and I'd like to keep it that way."

"Of course. Kids are too young to be brought into this."

'So, what do you need?"

"There's been another attack. A female victim, her throat torn out, completely drained of blood. It fits the pattern."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand. I thought we solved that problem when I staked the blonde one."

"I'm thinking she must have turned someone or multiple someones. I don't know. The story for the town is another animal attack, but I'm not sure how much longer we can keep lying to them. The Council's in an uproar. We thought we were past this."

"So, uh, what do we do?"

"You're the only one who's ever taken on a vampire. We were hoping you could tell us."

So Damon killed again. Why wasn't I surprised?

*

Damon was inside now, him and Sheriff next to the door. "Thank you for stopping by."

"Let me knw what you come up with," Sheriff told him.

"Absolutely."

As Damon shut the door behind her, Stefan sped toward him, pushing him against it. "What is wrong with you? You killed somebody?"

Damon pushed him off as I stood up. "Get off of me. A, don't touch me." He walked around him. "B, if I had, I wouldn't be so obvious about it. C, there's another vampire in town."

"That's impossible," Stefan said.

'Obviously not," I said as Damon turned to me.

"Well, who could it be?" Stefan asked.