Chapter 1

Once

   The Once-ler and Melvin had left from home about 2 days earlier. Once had set off to go find material to make his thneed. And he was tired. He wasn't able to sleep the night before due to a bad storm.
   He strummed his guitar and talked to himself. Then Melvin stopped walking. "Melvin. What are doing? Ya' thirsty?"
   His donkey snorted, kicked Once's seat, and jerked his head towards a small cave. The Once-ler looked over to where Melvin was looking. Inside the little cave was a man. The man looked dead. Gasping, he ran over to the cave and knelt down next to him.
The man looked exactly like him but he had a green suit, green gloves, and a big top hat. Once checked for a heartbeat. He was still alive. But he hardly looked it. Barely breathing and pale.
   Not really knowing what to do, the Once-ler called Melvin over. He grabbed a water bottle and poured some on the man's face.
   Suddenly, the man gasped and sat up. He looked around and then saw Once and stared at him. The man looked so much like him that it was kind of creepy.
   Looking away, he attempted to stand up. His knees wobbled and caved in, making him fall to the ground.
Once scooted over to him and said, "Hey, take it easy. Let me help." He grabbed him by the shoulder and stood up. They both walked over to the Once-ler's wagon. He helped the man into the wagon and gave him some water.
   Once just stared at him as he gulped down all the water. He finally said something to him, trying to break the silence. "I'm Once, by the way." he said, reaching his hand out for a handshake.
   The man just looked at his hand and continued to drink the water. The Once-ler put his hand down and scowled. "So, your name is?"
He looked at Once. "Greed. My name's Greed."
   "What were you doing in that cave?"
   Greed shook his head and said, "I don't remember."
   Once looked at him suspiciously. "Right, okay. Well, you're welcome to just stay in the wagon. Unless you have somewhere to be."
Greed shivered and curled up in a ball. "No. I'll go with you." he said quickly.
   "Okay then. There's plenty of stuff back here if you need anything." Once said. Greed nodded.
   The Once-ler hopped onto his seat in the front and they left.