{Chapter Eleven}

Looking Past The Monster

June 7th, 2017

Ashley

I sink to the floor after my husband leaves, the whoosh sound that follows his jump down to the ground signaling that he is for sure gone.

I feel so out of place, feel so alone in this colony of hundreds of vampires and some humans. I knew there was nobody to help me, nobody to listen to my cries or pleads to return safely home to my family. These vampires all around me may claim that they have emotions, or have hearts and feelings, but how could they when they committed such bad crimes? Surely they were humans at one time, they had to know what this felt like. So why wasn't anybody reaching out to me?

I make no sound as the hot tears slide down my cheeks and drip off my chin, darkening the green dress I wore. I felt like something out of a movie, dressed and surrounded by vampires that didn't act like they knew what century this was.

Liz, the only vampire in this whole fricking place who seems decent enough not to kill me or suck my blood, sits down next to me slowly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I glance at her and wish her red eyes would show some kind of emotion. But they lack that, like most that I've come to know here. They just stare back at you, glazed over and hiding the emotions that she felt inside.

It's like everyone I saw was a blank slate. An evil blank slate. Except maybe her.

"Hey...I know this has all been a rough start for you. The marriage and all...but You have to understand....that this is just the way life is here" I don't reply at first, always wondering if I could take that chance and speak my mind.

"What if...I don't agree with your ways of life? What if I want to go home? To my family? It's where I belong" The only emotion is the sorry tilt of her lips on her pale face.

She shakes her head softly and sighs.

"I'm sorry...I really am. But you can't leave. Ever. This is where you belong now, with your husband who loves you-" I turn away, scoffing as I stood up and walked to the other side of the room.

"He doesn't love me. And I'm okay with that. He's a cold blooded monster. He's thrown me around, put me in danger, and almost forced me to consummate our marriage. He would have whipped me, but..." I narrow my eyes, trying to search for my reason as to why he didn't whip me with his belt. As if that answer was lying on the floor next to me.

It doesn't take me long to realize what I've just done. How I've just spilled the secret that could be keeping me alive as of now. That our consummation was all an act.

Liz knows it, too. I can see it on her face, the first stage of shock.

I step forward, panic in my veins.

"Please...don't tell the others. Please tell me that I can trust you not to tell the others..." Liz looks to the doors that lead to the balcony. A lump forms in my throat before she nods and sighs.

"I will keep your secret, Queen Ashley. But only because I believe that there is a reason this colony still needs you. There is a reason that you were brought here, and you may not know it yet...none of us may know it yet...but I know that you are here because something wonderful will come out of it" A gasp of relief leaves my lips and I sink to my knees next to her.

"Thank you...really, for all that you've done for me so far. At least you are halfway decent than all the others" Liz smiles a little, grasping my hands.

"Now...as for my brother and your husband. You must find a way to make your stay more...comfortable. you need to make an effort, to try and cooperate with him. And with doing this, I promise that things will not seem as bad as they are right now" The nice, almost pleasant mood seems to vanish in a split second.

I pull my hands away, standing again to pad my feet across the floor and walk while I think.

"It's not possible. I can't, I won't. And I refuse. Why should I try and make an effort with him? He's a monster!" I look back at her and she shrugs a shoulder.

"But he is your husband. Your King. You may think he is a monster physically, all you humans think alike. But look past the monster you see, Queen Ashley. What is his heart like? Why did he agree to go along with your lies to put his life in great danger? He risked being shunned by his own colony. He accompanied you into the parlor today, he did not whip you when he said he would, and frankly when you deserved it. Also remember my Queen, that he did not punish you the way you should have been punished after your daring escape this morning" I try not to listen to her words, for I don't want my opinion to change. And really, it doesn't much.

"How do you know of my escape? It was only between me and him" Liz shakes her head, sighing.

"That's where you are wrong, my Queen. But do not worry, none of the colony knows much. Did my brother not tell you of his unfinished business with Prince Billie?" I raise my eyebrow, growing curious and crossing my arms.

"I asked of his business this morning, but he told me not to worry" Liz nods.

"Ah, sounds like him. Do not thin that I have told you, but he has gone to a meeting in the courtroom down in the village to seek a punishment for Prince Billie. If he wins, Billie will be flogged tomorrow in the courtyard. But I doubt our King would go as far as to let the punishment fall through. If the colony learns of your escape then you too will be trialled for your escape and deserved punishment" I chew on the inside of my lip and stare down at the courtyard with no words.

Liz smiles as she stands, crossing the room to me.

"Just keep in mind what I said, my Queen. The more pleasurable and cooperative you seem to your husband, the more your life here will be filled with happiness. Just remind yourself of the things he has done for you and don't forget..." She turns to walk to the balcony.

"He is no more a stranger to you than you are to him" With a smile she jumps down from the railing, leaving me with my own thoughts.