The Glass Slipper pt 7

Piper's eyes widened. "What? A once in a lifetime opportunity to meet the PRINCE and she's NOT LETTING YOU GO?!" She grabbed my shoulders and hugged me fiercely. "You poor baby!"

I allowed myself a little sob, then composed my features as we walked into town. I wove my way through the hordes of people in the market, searching for what I needed. Flour, sugar, salt, fruit, vegetables. Things went in the basket and I checked my purse. The supply of money I had brought was dwindling fast. I wanted to grab one more thing before we left.

"Piper?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. "Where's the nearest dressmaker?"

She looked at me and grinned. "Why? Think you can sneak into the ball?"

I rolled my eyes but nodded as her lips formed a frown. "Don't think you can afford one of Madame Aphrodite's dresses. Definitely not one of Iris Raynebow's. Hmmmm.... Sorry, Annabeth. I just don't think you would be able to afford a dress at all."

My heart sank. Of course I couldn't. "Well, thanks for trying."

We walked home together in silence. My basket was heavy and full and soon my arms ached. I tried to think of ways to get into the ball, but every idea failed me in one way or another. I couldn't buy a dress and I for sure couldn't make one. I waved goodbye as Piper left.

Once inside my home, I put the groceries away and started towards my bedroom. Reyna called to me as I was about to take my first step.

"Annabeth, get your blonde head in here!" She hollered angrily. "We want to speak with you!"

Reluctantly I went to see what she needed me for. I was astounded when I opened the door. They actually looked pretty good! (Never ever ever tell them that unless you want to die...)

Calypso was dressed in a long sleeved pale yellow dress that went to the floor with pink stitching around the waist, neck, and arms. Her hair was pinned back neatly in a bun, and her makeup looked natural and under exaggerated. She wore golden sandals and a golden necklace.

Reyna chose to go with a deep purple short sleeved dress that trailed behind her as she walked. Her sliver belt and jewelry complimented her dramatic makeup perfectly. Her dark hair was draped down her back, and her heels gave her a few much needed inches.

Hera, however, looked awful as always. Her brown hair was over combed, held back in a large bun. Her makeup was over powering, and her outfit was just as bad. Dark red, floor length, and clingy, it made her hips and legs look fat. She wore an odd combination of jeweled accessories that made her look like a walking jewelry shop. I shuddered.

"Well?" They chorused vainly. "How do we look?"

I knew what my punishment would be if I disagreed, so I swallowed and said, "Breathtaking?"

The girls giggled and Hera smirked, then motioned towards the door. "Shall we go, my dears?" They exited the house, where a carriage waited for them. As soon as they were out of sight, I screamed.

"Why is my life so awful?!" I shouted to nobody in particular. Then I heard a voice.

It was sweet, motherly, and gentle. It said, "Why, Annabeth, darling, why aren't you on your way to the ball?"