Chapter Two ( The Question )

Despite what happened last night, somehow I had managed to fall asleep. I yawned, turning to my side as I stared at the window. Maybe I was just tired and I imagined that whole scenario. There's no other explanation to this. I sat up fast, after hearing a jingle. I blinked, glancing down, seeing something around my neck. I touched the necklace, examining it. It was a chained necklace, a gold color. Hanging from the necklace was a gold key. I touched the key, feeling how cold it was. I frowned, standing up from my bed. Mom wouldn't have bought me this, she knows I don't wear jewelry. I changed into some clean clothes before walking out of my room. "Hey mom, did you give this to me last night?," I called out. There was no response, only silence. I sighed, going into the kitchen, to the fridge as I saw a sticky note. I read it out loud, "Dear Nathan, I had an emergency so I left early. If you're hungry, there's some leftovers from last night. I will be back around 6:30 tonight. Love you!". I sighed, taking the note and crushing it before tossing it into the trashcan. My mom works as a doctor at the local hospital and my dad is traveling the world as a business man. So most of the time, I am left by myself at home. Which is why I am rarely home myself. I grabbed an apple, walking out the door. Planning on seeing my friends who lives on the same street.

Maybe Lucas sneaked in and did this when I was sleeping? Maybe Peyton planned this entire thing as a practical joke? My mind tried to think of reasons and explanations of what could have been happening. I knocked on Lucas's door, tapping my foot impatiently. No one answered the door. I sighed, taking out my phone as I called him. "Hey Lucas, open the door," I said impatiently. "What? Of course I'm the one who knocked on your door. Who else?," I asked with an eye roll. I nodded. "Yeah, hurry up and open the door," I said before hanging up. I waited a few seconds before I saw the doorknob turn. I watched as Lucas poked his head out of the door. Then he sighed in relief, before opening it up wider. "What's with you? I have never seen you so paranoid before," I said calmly, my arms crossed.

Lucas smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Listen, I know you will probably laugh at me for saying this, but I think I'm being haunted," he admitted, showing me a gold necklace. My eyes widened in surprise, seeing it.

"I'm not the only one...," I muttered in shock. I frowned slightly, not understanding why Lucas had one. "Let's go see Peyton," I decided calmly, turning as I began to walk. Lucas was about to ask what I meant by my comment until he saw my necklace. He quickly grabbed his shoes and put them on before he ran out after me.

"Why do you think Peyton would have one," he asked confused. I glanced at Lucas, studying him closely. "Don't stare at me like that, Nathan. It's creepy," he said with a slight glare. He still looked shaken up and nervous. I took a deep breath, thinking of the situation. After I wrote down our names in that notebook, I began to feel weird, and strange things began to happen. When I woke up, I had a necklace around my neck. Lucas had the same things happen to him, or at least a similar situation. My eyes widened. Wait a second, that means that the curtain closing, the tapping, and the presence behind me was all real. I swallowed hard, putting the pieces together.

"I will explain everything once we get to her house," I said quickly before I began to run. Lucas glared, but he didn't object, running after me. We ran down the block, turning a corner before we arrived at her house. I walked up the porch, knocking on the door. "Peyton! It's me," I shouted loudly.

"What do you want, Nathan?" Peyton shouted back, but the door didn't open yet.

"Peyton, listen to me. I need you to open your door," I demanded slowly, grabbing the doorknob before I heard a click and I turned the knob, opening the door. Peyton stood there, holding a bat. Her eyes narrowed with distrust.

"Calm down, it's actually us, Peyton," Lucas said with a sigh, walking in as he sat down on the couch. Peyton slowly lowered her bat, sighing as she sat down on the ground in front of the couch. She scowled at Lucas, though she didn't say anything.