Prologue: Not a Good Day

[Banner by WeirdlySupernatural]

~

A U B R E Y

Aubrey Lucas was not having a good day.

Firstly, she had somehow overslept and had woken up at ten in the morning -- two hours later than she should've -- because for some reason her alarm clock had failed to ring. It wasn't until later that she realised it was because her phone was out of battery, which didn't really come as a surprise since she'd stayed up all night binge-watching The Office. Aubrey distinctly remembered that she'd plugged in the charger before she fell asleep, though, and a quick check confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the charger. She'd shrugged it off as a random technical failure, and then had headed downstairs.

That's where her day took a turn for the worse.

Usually, the Lucas family mansion would be bustling with activity turning this time of the day. The maids would be scurrying to and fro, the kitchen would be alive with the sounds of cooking, and someone would already be asking her what she wanted for breakfast. However, the entire place was deserted -- or it looked like it, at least. The lights were off, the curtains were drawn, and it was so quiet that Aubrey could hear the sound of her own heart thudding in her chest. Her slippers clacked loudly on the marble floor as she headed towards the dining room, confused and slightly worried. 

She pushed open the towering mahogany doors and hurried into the room, eager to find some kind of explanation for the unusual happenings, only to stop short when her eyes landed on a piece of paper on the table. Grabbing it, her eyes scanned the short note, which was written in her mother's distinct cursive.

Aubrey, baby, there's something going on in the news. Your daddy and I needed to go check it out - we wanted to tell you but you were still sleeping. Don't worry, it's probably nothing. We'll be back by nine, honey. If you need anything just call one of the maids. Love, Mom. 

Her eyes flittered up to the wooden cuckoo clock resting on the wall. 10:37. 

They were already an hour overdue.

She put the note down, slowly, feeling a chill travel up her spine. Suddenly cold all over, Aubrey headed to the nearest window, where the thick velvet curtains were drawn. She gently reached up and drew the edge of the curtain to the side.

Outside the gates of her mansion, it was chaos.

The wreckage of at least three cars were piled up right outside the Lucas family mansion's gates, ripping a large dent in the metal. A tree had been uprooted, which she expected was the cause of the car accident, and its branches were on fire. But perhaps what scared her the most was how isolated everything looked - how barren and deserted. Where were the firefighters? Where were the ambulances? The police? Anyone?

Thunder roared in the distance.

And Aubrey Lucas was alone.