A Plague On Both Your Houses

"I pray thee, good Mercutio, let's retire. The day is hot and the Capulets are out. And if we meet, we shall not scape a brawl. For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring." Benvolio, Mercutio and other Montagues were walking through Verona's streets. Mercutio's mind was still full of his realisation of love for Benvolio. Every time he looked down at Benvolio's bandaged hand, a small smile escaped his lips. That was the injury that had turned his confused feelings into love.

Mercutio decided to tease Benvolio. "Thou art like one of these fellows that, when he enters the confines of a tavern, claps me his sword down on the table and claims to have no need of it. Then, with the operation of the second cup, picks up his sword and rams his host right through!". Mercutio pretended to stab Benvolio in the stomach.

"Am I like such a fellow?"

"Come, come, thou art as hot a jack in thy mood as any to be found in Italy; and as soon moved to be moody and as soon moody to be moved."

"And what to?"

"Why, thou wilt quarrel with a man for cracking nuts, having no other reason but because thou hast hazel eyes. Thou hast quarreled with a man for coughing in the street because he hath wakened your dog. Didst thou not fall out with a tailor for wearing his new doublet before Easter. With another for thing his shoes with old riband? And yet thou wilt tutor me from quarrelling?"

A loud whistle from behind them stopped the conversation and made them turn around.

"By my head, here come the Capulets."

"By my heel, I care not!" Mercutio crouched down and smirked at the oncoming Capulets who were led by a furious looking Tybalt.

"Gentlemen, a word with one of you."

Mercutio retaliated immediately. "And but one word with one of us? Couple it with something, make it a word and a blow!"

"You shall find me apt enough to that, sir, an you will give me occasion."

"Could you not take some occasion without giving?"

"Mercutio, thou consort'st with Romeo?"

"Consort with? What, dost thou imagine us a pair of minstrels? And​ thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but discords. Here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall make you dance. Consort indeed!"

Mercutio and Tybalt glared ferociously at each other. Benvolio stepped between them. "Mercutio, Tybalt, we talk here in the public haunt of men. Either withdraw unto some private place or better yet depart. Here all eyes gaze on us."

"Men's eyes were made to look, and let them gaze. I will not budge for no man's pleasure, I."

A sound of hooves rose up. Romeo was galloping on his horse, as fast as he could. Hastily, he called out to Benvolio. "Benvolio, what fray is this?"

Tybalt focused his cold eyes on Romeo but addressed Mercutio. "Peace be with you, sir, here comes my man."

Mercutio lost control of his anger and lunged forwards, Benvolio caught hold of him just in time. "Your man? How dare you call a Montague your man?"

Tybalt took no notice, he was walking towards Romeo who was approaching from the other direction. "Romeo, the love I bear thee can afford no better term than this, thou art a villain!"

"Tybalt, the reason I have to love thee doth much excuse the appertaining rage to such a greeting. Villain am I none. Therefore farewell; I see thou know'st me not." Romeo turned and began to pull Mercutio away too, but Tybalt wouldn't give in.

"Boy, this will not excuse the injuries that thou hast done me. Therefore, turn and draw."

Romeo turned round again. "I do protest I never injured thee, but love thee better than thou canst devise. Till thou shalt know the reason of my love; and so, good Capulet, which name I tender as dearly as mine own, be satisfied."