Past Memories And Moral Standards

Luke's P.O.V
It's April now. Well, I think. It was the end of March when we left Alexandria. It's been weeks since. So it must be April now. Everything has changed. Everyone has changed. The atmosphere has been gloomy and rigid ever since Daryl. No one has cracked a smile.

It took us, what seemed like forever, to find a place that looked safe. Eventually, we stumbled upon an okay–looking torn down camp tucked away in the woods. Completely hidden. It isn't exactly ideal, but it's better than nothing. It's a place where we can lay down our heads at night. That's all we really need nowadays. It was depressing to look at when we were laid eyes on it. The bodies of former occupants lay everywhere, torn apart. The worst part was having to bury the girl. She must've been only eight years old. She laid on her back with a teddy bear resting in her limp hand. A bite taken from her throats and her intestines had been torn out and scattered around her.

Rick sits towering over a map. On a corner of it reads:

"Sorry, I was an asshole. Come to Washington. The new world's gonna need Rick Grimes."

"We can follow I-85," Rick mentions to Michonne, Carol, and Olivia, "It'll take us south. Out of Virginia, through the Carolinas, and into Georgia."

My heart jumps at the mention of the Carolinas.

I can't go back!

"Why Georgia?" Olivia asks.

I sit leaning against a tree behind the four of them, eaves dropping. Carl lays on his back, head resting in my lap, fast asleep. I'm not sure where Enid is. She disappeared.

"There's a hospital there, in Atlanta. With people and supplies," Rick explains, "It could —"

"No," Carol interrupts, "We're not going back there."

"Rick," Michonne says siding with Carol, "We can't. Not after..."

"Then where?!" Rick erupts, "Where the hell do we go now?"

He's been on edge the most lately. I can't exactly blame him for it though. We have all been affected by the recent events.

"We need a place that is easy to protect. One where we can see oncoming trouble before it's too late," Olivia offers, "Somewhere secluded, open, and quiet. Safe."

I notice Rick and Carol shoot a quick glance at each other.

"I wish I knew of a place like that.." Rick says almost... guiltily?

"Carl," I say shaking him awake.

His eye flutters open and meets mine.

"Follow me."

We sneak into the woods while the adults are wrapped in conversation. Carl shoots me a questioning look once we make it away successfully.

"The fire was dwindling," I explain not making eye contact, "We should get more wood."

"The fire was fine. I fed it earlier," he casually states. He then asks, "Why are we out here, Luke?"

I sigh, "I don't want to go back."

"To South Carolina," I add when he looks confused, "Even if we're only passing through."