one

"Honestly Darius if I have to wait any longer I just might explode!" I shout outside my older brother's door, too excited to get on the express and start my fifth year at Hogwarts to wait for him and his habitually-slow self

I raise my fist to rap on the door again when it finally slides open.

Darius's intelligent, calculating, hazel-eyed stare is fixed on me.

"I decided to take my time packing my trunk today." He grins teasingly. I make a show of rolling my eyes, before slipping down the hallway and standing next to my trunk, which was already waiting for me by the front door for hours.

"Dari-"

"Let's go!" He interrupts, coming around the corner at a rather fast pace.

Our father smiles at the pair of us as he ushers us out the door. A strong breeze blows the curly raven locks out of my face, and I feel a slight ache staring at the beautiful expanse of prairie grass and wildflowers that glitter a soft, heartwarming gold when bathed in sunlight.

I always miss this place the most when I'm just about to leave.

Father stands between us and takes our hands. We quickly apparate to King's Cross Station, and I ignore the queasy feeling given by the means of quick transportation.

"Hurry, you're already late!" Father exclaims. Darius and I rush forward, barely conscious of our carts which bump, shift, and shake with every hurried footstep.

I barely slow as I approach platforms 9 and 10, thinking nothing of it as I slip through the thick brick column that will take me to platform 9 3/4.

When I get inside, I pause and stand silently in front of the train, tapping my foot as my father says his quick goodbyes to Darius, paying little attention. I know he intends to speak to me too, but I'm rather preoccupied with worry that we'll miss the train.

"Emilia?" He asks quietly, and my cheeks redden as I realize his thoughtful gaze has shifted over to me. He obviously noticed I hadn't been paying much attention.

"Goodbye, father." I smile quickly, kissing his cheek. He nods, pride in his eyes.

"Go ahead. I know you're eager." Father grins. I turn away with a mirrored grin on my face and push my cart forward, ready to board.

"I'll see you both at Christmas! I love you!" He calls after us. Darius teasingly bumps into me and enters the train first, to which I roll my eyes again.

He turns into a random compartment and I look in after him, hoping I might see a certain trio of friends I'd secretly missed so much.

Happiness stirs in my chest at the familiar sight of a green-eyed, raven-haired boy, a bright-red haired, goofy looking boy, and my curly-haired best friend.