-Chapter 9

"Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone."
- Galatians 6:10

___________________

"Excuse me, miss? Do you need any help with those?" I approach the old lady in the grocery store parking lot with a tentative smile, my eyes softening at the visible laugh lines evident on her aged face.

"Oh, thank you, sweetie," she croaks, a toothy smile spreading across her wrinkled face as she hands over the brown paper bags filled with various produce and groceries.

"Of course, ma'am," I follow her to her car, watching as she unlocks it with shaky hands. I furrow my eyebrows in worry. "Are you sure you are okay to drive, miss?"

She smiles, softly. "Oh, yes, I'll be fine. Thank you, sweetie, for the help. There's not enough people like you in this world, now a days."

I return her smile, helping her load the bags into the trunk before bidding her goodbye and strolling into the air conditioned market.

Even though it's been several weeks since school has started up again, the temperatures are still high here in Manhattan, which is why I was sent to get ice cream to bring back to my house. According to my mother, ice cream is the key to a sunny day; and since we are having a family barbecue tonight, she decided it would be best to fetch some. Because apparently it's a "necessity."

Honestly, I agree whole-heartedly.

Sent from my iPhone: Hey, Jackson! I haven't seen you at school in a couple days. Everything alright?

I send a quick text to Jackson as I stroll through the frozen food section, my flip-flops making a distinct sound as I walk down the isle.

My phone pings and I pull it out from the pocket of my jean shorts.

Jackson: Every thing's fine, thanks, Anna :) Just feeling a little bit under the weather, that's all.

Anna: Well, I hope you feel better soon, we miss you at lunch :)

It's true, Kyra and I have grown quite attached to Jackson and his funny ways. We have come to find out that he actually has a hilarious sense of humor and a smart mind, once you get to know him. And, although I never doubted that he was smart, I never knew he was practically a genius.

Throwing a couple cartons of ice cream in my cart, I turn around to head back to check-out when something catches my eye.

"Hi, Jim!"

He grimaces, instantly walking around my cart and down the isle I was just in.

"Are you alright?" I ask, worriedly, my head turning around to watch as he surveys the various frozen foods in the freezers.

"I'm fine, Anna, just leave me alone, will you?" his words are still harsh in meaning as usual, but there's something about the way he said them that sounded so quiet, and dare I say it, forced.

"Oh," I say in a quieter voice. "Okay. Bye, Jim."

He doesn't bother to say goodbye in return, instead he just shoves his hands into the pockets of his worn out jeans, an exhausted frown stuck on his face.

"And, Jim?" I swivel back around.

He raises his eyebrows at me in a silent "what?"

"I just, uhm," clearing my throat, I stand up taller. "We're having a barbecue tonight—my family and I, and you're welcome to join us, if you want."

"I-" he looks down, his eyebrows crinkling up in an emotion I cannot decipher. "I can't."

Silence falls thick in the air, even though in reality, the hustle and bustle of people going past us is quite loud.

"That's okay," I smile, my eyes searching his worn out face. For some reason, his answer shocked me. Not because he denied my invitation, but because he said that he couldn't go.

Not that he didn't want to.

I'm making progress.

___________________

Heyy GUYS! Thank you guys so much for 1k!!!!!!!!! It makes me smile so hard!!!!!!!!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter

Love, Mae