Birthday

He's so good to me. More than good to me. He keeps buying me things. Last week, it was that gorgeous bracelet. The one with the intricate dragon with the ruby eyes. From my favorite book. It made me cry and pounce on him. 

The things that man can do with his hands. They should be illegal. *Le sigh*

But I think he thinks that he needs to keep buying me things so I can be happy like he's bribing me to stay with him. How do I make him understand that I just want him. Without everything else. Even if he lived above an Indian restaurant in a tiny, tiny loft, as long as I wasn't being mugged, or shot, or car jacked, or... Anyways, I'd live with him and it'd be the best life ever.

Extract from Janice's diary.
(Buried in her underwear drawer for safekeeping but unearthed by a wildly curious husband who smiled wildly and kissed her all over)

*****

Luke was frowning at the financial report on his desk when his phone rang. His personal line was beeping a reminder.

10.00 - Janice Bday

He turned it off and looked back at the financial report, but his train of thought had been interrupted. His wife of three years loved only one thing during her birthday. Dinner at the al fresco Italian place downtown where they had had their first date, triple layer double chocolate Devils food cake and making love to him. All night.

He sat back in his chair. He should call her. Tell her happy birthday. Where was she today? Now that he thought about it, he hadn't seen her for almost two weeks. He always assumed she was out doing 'woman' things when he got home, and since he asked for separate bedrooms it wasn't unusual not to see her all day.

Actually he hadn't seen her since his party ten days ago. Bloody hell.

He reached for his phone and called her line. It went straight to voice-mail. He called her house office line. It went unanswered. Vaguely panicky now, he called the house land line and Saraswati, their housekeeper, picked up.
"Paris household. How may I help you? "
" Sara put Janice on the phone."
"Sorry sir, the memsahib is not here."
Luke made a sound of irritation.
"Where did she go?"
"I do not know Sahib, she did not say."
"When did she leave?"
A pause.
"Six days ago Sahib"
"What!!" Logan erupted.
"I need to go Sahib, the food will burn."

With a click the line went dead. Logan left the chair and strode to the door. He swung back to pick up his phone then yanked open his office door.

"Clear the rest of my day Sean, and hold all my calls." he said as he took off through the office towards the elevators. As a testament to his unflappable nature, Sean did not blink at his employer's brusque exit.

He left his station and followed him as he walked out.
"The Japanese consulate called. They want you there for the PM's visit later this month."
"Say yes, schedule a meet with him."
"Legal sent over the revised draft of your new employment contract."
"Did they fix it?"
"They increased the stake to 6.5%"
"Take it back and tell them it's 10 or no deal. If they don't want me I'll walk. No double speak. Bash Wesley over the head with it until he bleeds or gives me my 10%"
"Understood."

Luke pushed the elevator's down button impatiently. Was the elevator always this slow? True he usually left the office at 11.00pm when it was not in use, but still.
"If you're going to look for Janice, she is in the Hamptons house."
That had Luke whipping to Sean.
"How the fuck do you know that?"
"She tried to call you but you were busy so she left a message."
Luke advanced on the other man in barely leashed rage.
"What the fuck Sean?! Why didn't you tell me?"
"I did. And I forwarded her email to you, put a reminder of her birthday on your calendar and put the divorce papers her lawyer delivered on your desk."
Luke reared back like he'd been punched.
"Divorce....papers?"
"Would you like me to fetch them for you sir." Sean asked politely, his face holding a bland expression but Luke knew the man was holding back a smirk. Fucking bastard. Why did he keep him around? That's right, because he was the best thing that had happened to his career. A jack of all trades and a master of many, he was as efficient as an eight armed Einstein PA. Many companies had tried to poach him but him but his long standing friendship to Luke had kept him around for almost 9 years.

Now he cocked one black eyebrow at Luke as he stood ramrod straight in his bespoke 3-piece suit and white leather shoes with matching tie and pocket square, his hair clubbed at his nape.
"No, you insolent bastard."
"I'll have the car brought around sir."
Luke flashed him a rude gesture and scowled when Sean's smirk broke through.
"Word of advice, carry some cake with you."
"Why should I take your advice?"
The elevator door finally slid open and spit out six people leaving it mercifully empty.
"I've been married and unlike you I know how to stay married."
"Fuck you"
"Have a nice trip sir. "