THE DEAD COME BACK TO YOU

Maia was sitting on the beach waiting for Bat to come. They had planned a late night romantic picnic. She sighed as she thought about him now. He was just so perfect.

They had been married for three years now. She remembered the day he had proposed. He had sent one of the pups into her room and she had told her there was something wrong with Bat.

She had run outside and seen him standing near an oak tree just outside the police station. She had ran to him and asked him what was wrong. He had said, "I think my heart can't beat without you." And then he had taken out the ring...

She gazed at it now. A small flower studded with diamonds. She wondered where Bat had gotten it.

"Maia", said a voice behind her. She turned, expecting to see Bat, but it was a teenage boy. His face seemed insanely familiar and she had this feeling she ought to know who he was but she just couldn't place it.

"Maia, can you see me?"
Slowly, she nodded her head.
"Oh my God! I have been trying to get you hear me for ages. I'm so happy you finally noticed me."

"I'm sorry, who are you?", she asked.

The boy looked as if she had slapped him. Again, she tried to remember his face but just couldn't.

"Maia, do you really don't remember me?"

"No."

She felt horribly guilty.
The boy looked stricken, almost near tears.

"I have been watching you for five years, Maia. I'm so glad you found someone, though I'm sad it couldn't be me."

"Excuse me, but what are you talking about?"

She was totally lost now. Was this person her ex-boyfriend or something? It was hard to keep track of all her past relationships. Why would she date someone so much younger than her?

It was hard to remember her life before she had married Bat, or maybe she just didn't want to. So much pain and death. And of course Sebastian had killed Jordan...

Jordan.

She focused on the boy again. He had a sort of surfer look about him, with the tattoos and the long hair. He was tall, slim and muscular, and he had hazel - green eyes.

All of the memories she had buried in the back of her head came rushing in less than a second. How she had met Jordan again, that journey to the praetor lupus, what happened in his old room that day, and at last, his dead body staring up at her after Sebastian had left.

"J-Jordan??? But how is that possible? You died! Sebastian killed you! Are you a ghost?"
She didn't even know what to feel. It was as if someone just wouldn't let her forget what happened.

The past always matters.

That was the motto of the praetor lupus. You could not forget the past, or you could never learn from it.
And he looked so sad...

She burned with guilt as she remembered that she had been going to break up with him that day. He had not known. He had thought she still loved him. And now here he was, after she was married to Bat.

"I think I'm a ghost. I didn't even know they existed. I thought that people went to heaven or hell after they died, or found peace. But I just can't seem to do that. And I saw Sebastian, but he seemed different, nice. He's the only company I have had for years. Until now."

"Jordan, I'm so sorry."

He smiled, though she could see the sadness in his eyes.
"Don't be. I haven't felt this elation in a really long time. And I feel like now that I have talked to you, maybe I can find peace."

Maia wanted to cry. She didn't know why Jordan hadn't been able to move on, but she was almost sure it was because of her. She wondered if Jordan knew about her and Bat.

"Maia, I think I have to go now. I love you, and I always will, wherever I go."

She felt the hot tears on her face now. He still thought she loved him.

"I love you too, Jordan."

He smiled, a smile of actual joy and then started to fade, until he disappeared completely.

She wiped away her tears. She hadn't been able to tell him the truth even now, ten years later.

She heard someone coming. This time it was Bat. She hastily tried to stop crying and get calm.

Bat reached her, and saw her face.

"Is everything all right Maia? Have you been crying?"
She made a calm face and said, "No it's just the ocean spray, I'm fine."