Chapter Seventeen

Thank you so much to PaNiCaThEBeEbO for making me this awesome banner! That guy is definitely attractive!

I'm going to be closing submissions soon, so be sure to send your banners in to my email. Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 2291

~Aria

The following days after Malik and I's date were a whirlwind.

He took others on dates, including Brynn. While he did so, Zariah and I plotted how and when we are going to sneak into Malik's quarters. Over those few days, I learnt Zariah is one of the smartest people I know, yet at the the same time, the stupidest.

Her Wisdom Pack counterpart has been sent home after she picked one too many fights with the other girls. Zariah didn't like her anyway. I just wish that Macie would be sent home too, since she has completely turned into a different person since she began hanging around with Phoenix and Mareli. They all leave me to wonder what will happen when it gets to the last few girls.

No doubt they will turn on each other like wild animals.

"I know Phoenix's family is beyond rich, but apparently so is Macie's," I'm told at breakfast. I stop eating my apple, watching Zariah carefully. "Her father is a plantation owner."

Macie hadn't mentioned it, but not many girls mentioned their pasts. Some think we aren't even allowed to, which I don't see why not. Keeping secrets seems to be a common game here. I'm curious about Macie though; what he father grows in our winter climate is beyond me, but whatever it is, he must make a fortune off it.

It just makes me feel even more insignificant.

"I see the wheels turning," I say, moving my apple in a circle to emphasise my point. Zariah gets this expression on her face when she is onto something.

She burys her hands into her thick hair. I wish I had the naturally thick, dark hair that she does. The fact that she can style into anything she wants amazes me; and when she has it down, it looks just as magnificent. She seems indifferent about it, though.

"Tonight is going to answer everything. We are going to find out what's really going on behind this competition," I hear her say behind a bite of my apple.

Honestly, I don't care about whatever is behind the competition. Sure, it would make me mad to know our Luna is going to be some female is an influential family, who was chosen before we all even arrived, but that's not what I'm here for.

I'm here for the necklace.

"We can't go while he's sleeping," I say lowly, so no one else would hear us.

The dining room has been whittled down significantly. Not only had Livia Green from the Wisdom Pack been sent home, but so bad Imani Lee from the Independence Pack - the girl who spoke to no one but Malik. The camera crew who hardly seen in here now, now that the hype has died down, have struggled to keep up with the amount of girls being sent home.

With no official ceremony to dictate it, whenever one of us is alone, we all are instantly worried it's the worse case scenario.

"He will probably be on a date tonight or something," Zariah says, tapping the sheet of paper she carts around everywhere with her. It's scrawled with ideas and plans for what we are doing tonight. "We have no other choice but to do it now. Otherwise, one of us might get sent home."

"Hey Aria, how was your date?"

My eyes cast up from the piece of paper I was looking at. A girl sat across the table from us, looking at me curiously. This is the first time I have talked to her this entire time - she's quite shy. Is her name Reese?