Seven

December 21st, 2028

Pierce sat up in bed, right hand detached, cleaning it. Today was one of his rare few days off and it was due to the approaching holiday season. Typically things at Transigen slowed down as far as research so employees could travel and spend time with their families. Pierce wasn't expected back at work until the day after Christmas. Foolishly of him, he had made no plans. This was the perfect opportunity to get away, but he didn't seize the moment. Something he later came to regret.

Zoe came into the bedroom and groaned. "Babe, what did I say about doing that in bed?" She hated him cleaning his bionic hand on their bed. It just didn't seem sanitary to her. Not waiting for his reply, she headed straight for the bathroom and shut the door behind her. After taking a quick shower, Zoe stepped back into the bedroom to see Pierce unmoved from his area, still cleaning his damn hand. "Seriously?!" With a towel wrapped around her body, Zoe threw her hands up in frustration and went to the closet for clothes.

"What?" Pierce chuckled, trying to act innocent. Throwing on a simple shirt and pair of panties, Zoe marched over to her side of the bed and got under the covers without a word, facing the opposite direction. Pierce belted out another laugh. He knew she was angry with him. Zoe had been pouting and stomping about the house all day. It was all his fault, and he didn't blame her for her attitude. Sometimes he didn't understand how Zoe could put up with so much of his shit but still want to be with him. Locking his hand back in place inside the socket, Pierce shimmed over to Zoe, wrapping his arms around her middle."You mad at me?" He spoke gently, kissing her neck.

"Kinda." She mumbled.

"I know you are. You can say yes."

"If you know I am, then why ask?"

"Because you look awfully adorable when you're mad."

Zoe turned around in his arms to face him. Her eyebrows were knitted together with a slight frown on her face. It almost looked forced. That's because it was. She was trying her best to be annoyed with him, but it was too hard. The entire day felt like nothing but work. She wanted him to suffer, but in seeing the amused look on his face now, he didn't even care she had been rude to him all day. He thought it was cute. "You're an asshole."

"I know, baby." He replied, kissing the tip of her nose, then bringing his lips to her mouth. Zoe didn't hesitate to return the kiss. She never did.

"You promised." She sighed, as he pulled away and pressed his forehead to hers. Pierce had promised back at the beginning of November that they would go away for the holiday. It didn't matter where. Just as long as she was out of Mexico City and he was by her side. He broke that promise by opting to stay on call while a quarter of his security team was away.

"I'll make it up to you. I pro...-"

"Don't say you promise." She cut him off.

"Zoe." He pulled away just enough to look into her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You can make it up to me now."

"How so?" He smirked, thinking that was a sexual reference. It wasn't.

"We can just pack our bags and leave tonight."

"You know...-"

"We don't have to go far. Just to the United States. We can go to Las Vegas and do something totally spontaneous, like get married."

"Aren't I suppose to be the one proposing marriage?" Pierce chuckled.

"Then ask me." Zoe shrugged it off.