Chapter 1 • Hayes Asher Dawson.

Time doesn't stop. Not for you, not for me, not for the old man that lives down the street. For some reason, even the smartest, most intelligent scientists and researchers haven't figured out a hack to what seems like the most simplest thing in the world. Time.

   But, right now, right this minute, it seemed as if every clock in the world had stopped ticking. Time frozen, only the sound of the electric humming through the wires and my unending, useless thoughts left.

   So, if time is such a simple thing, why haven't we figured it out? Maybe part of us, something buried deep inside of us, just maybe, is afraid of what will happen if we do.

   Our government says they are protecting us, that we no longer need to figure things out on our own. But what are they truly hiding? How did we go from a society where thinking out of the box was applauded to now, where you face death by electrocution? Or at least that's what happened to me anyway.
___________________________

Three guards, dressed in black from head to toe, surrounded me. Each armed with a gun, the same familiar gun I've grown up around. "You can't do this to me," I snarled at them. The crisp sound of the door opening made them back away from me.
   "Hello, Ms. Adler. It's nice to see you haven't beat up any of my guards." The man our nation looks up to was finally standing in front of me. If only they knew what I knew about him.
   "Harlan Breccan. I would say what an honor, but we both know that's not true." A smirk appeared on his face. "What I need to know from you, Ms. Adler, are all of the lies that man has told you about me. About our government."
"I don't know what you're talking about." My heart started to pound, threatening to leap out of my chest. "Oh what a shame, it seems you've already forgotten. Well then I guess I should refresh your memory," his smirk grew into a grin, and he held up a picture. My heart sunk as he handed me the photo.
"Recognize him? I know you do." Harlan said as he paced the room.
Of course I did. How could I not? My fingers once played with his light brown hair. The same light brown color that complimented his sun kissed skin. His eyes reminded me of an old barn door. The dark brown tone had flecks of gold mixed in it. Strength and power gleaming. A thin line of roughly shaved facial hair ran across his jawline. And the lips that fit perfectly with mine were all there.
This is the man I love. The man I tried so hard to protect. The man that opened my eyes to the lies of our society.
I failed to protect him. And now, Harlan Breccan has his picture. His name. And, access to the only thing that has ever made me weak. Hayes Asher Dawson.