Chapter 18: New Hope

April 23rd, 2017

Melody awoke with a start from the sound of the boat horn. Levin held her arm softly, just enough to let her know she was okay. Her arm had a large bruise on it from the day before, when she fell out of Fallon's grasp. Melody looked at Levin with sadness and he pulled her in for a hug with his good arm. She buried her face in his chest and cried until she was dizzy from dehydration. She drank a little bit of water, but food didn't appeal to her. She looked down at the ground silently. Her hope had been crushed.

Seeing Melody like this crushed Levin's heart. She was normally a hope filled, spunky, bubbly and optimistic leader. She gave everyone else here hope, and helped them stay calm. Now, seeing Melody at her low point, they were all terrified. Little kids clung to the older ones. Melody was constantly slipping in and out of consciousness. When some men came to beat us, she still stood her ground and took the blows. She was still brave, but comepletly broken.

May 6th

Melody was a bruised and bloodied ball on Levin's lap. They had broken one of her wrists, and cracked one of her rib bones. Still, she defended them. She defended them all. After the man left, satisfied with Melody's bruises, Levin held her close and gathered the kids all together.

"Things are pretty bad right now, for all of us. But I know help is coming-"

"How can you say that when Melody is half dead?!" Gilroy glared at him.

"Because Ally is going to get us help. She's probably made it home and told the police everything."

"Or she died..." Gilroy mumbled. Melody sat up.

"Levin is right, Ally is safe, I know it." She said firmly. "We need to have faith that things will get better. For our families, for our friends, for eachother."

Levin smiled softly at her. She always knew what to say to give them hope. The tension of them disintegrated in one fell swoop. Melody rested her head on Levin's chest, closing her eyes and sighing. Levin kept calm, as to keep his heartbeat slow and steady. He pulled her closer. He truly loved her. Even as beaten as she was, she was radiant. Her eyes glowed like emeralds in the sun. Her brown hair, though more oily due to lack of care, was silky and soft. The main light in the room was Melody's necklace and the portholes.

A couple hours later, another man came in. This time, Levin refused to let Melody get in the way of harm. He had Malborn keep her safe and stood. The man smirked.

"So we're mixing it up finally, are we?" He laughed wickedly.

"You aren't to touch any of them ever again." Levin said boldly.

The man grunted with a shrug, and punched Levin in the stomach. He gagged with his eyes wide at first, stumbling back a bit. The man continued to beat him over and over until Levin was a shriveled up pile on the ground, then he left. The pain meant nothing to Levin compared to the relief that Melody didn't receive the blows.

Melody rushed over to him worriedly and held him, crying. He had a bloody lip and nose, but gave her a weak smile.

"I'm okay, Melody." He said quietly.

"He could've killed you!" She sobbed.

"But he didn't." He said softly.

"I can't lose you too!" She choked out. He sighed and rubbed her back.

"You won't. I promise."

They stayed like that until they fell asleep.

| Sorry about the short chapter, I might be posting more in order to cope with something. I won't go into details to keep the privacy of the situation secure.
... Guys, if you have someone close to you, who apologize a lot, or seem too happy, keep them as close as possible and let them know you're there for them, please. |