By the Fire's Light

By the Fire's Light

"I gotta tell you, Connor, this is one amazing story," Kurt said, plopping down on the couch next to him. "You've got me believing in the boogie man again. I actually checked under my bed last night."

Connor laughed, taking the manuscript back. "Well it did take first prize in that contest, so I would hope it's good."

Kurt put an arm around Connor's shoulder and proclaimed to the imagined masses in front of them. "I can see it now, Connor. We'll both head to college after the summer. You will write an amazing horror film and I will shoot it. It will get wildly popular on YouTube, some Hollywood exec will see it, and we will be rich beyond our wildest dreams."

Connor shoved Kurt's arm off him with a grunt. "Right, just like what happened with these guys whose series you're showing me. What's it called again?"

"Marble Hornets," Kurt said, pulling out some DVDs. "And, well, they're not rich and famous yet, but they should be."

"And it's about a tall man or something?" Connor said, settling into the couch.

"And you call yourself a horror buff," Kurt said scornfully as he put the first DVD in. "It's Slender Man. And he's scary as hell."

"We'll see," Connor said as the DVD started.

A few hours later Connor stood up and stretched. "That was surprisingly good," he said.

"I know, right?" Kurt said, popping the DVD back out. "Who would've thought a tall faceless dude could be so scary?"

"Not me," Connor said, turning to look at the clock. "I'm gonna head home. I still have finished packing for our camping trip."

"My dad is totally stoked for this," Kurt said. "I think he's more excited than I am."

Connor laughed. "My dad's tolerating it. You should have seen all the bug spray he bought."

"You want me to drive you home?" Kurt asked as Connor headed for the door.

"I live three blocks away, I can walk," Connor said, as he opened the door.

"I just don't want to the Slender Man to get you," Kurt said.

"Cute," Connor said as he walked outside. He waved. "I'll see you tomorrow, Kurt." Putting his hands in his pockets, he strolled across the lawn and down the street.

As he walked, Connor's brain turned over the concept of the Slender Man in his head. Why was he around? What exactly did he do besides stand around menacingly? And more importantly, how would he use him in a story?

Connor stopped as something black and white flashed by him in his peripheral vision. Heart beating, he turned to look to his right. "Hello?" he said. A click on the pavement behind him made him jump. "Who's there?" he said, whipping around. A wagging tail greeted his vision and friendly brown eyes. He sighed and laughed at himself. "Hello, Daisy," he said to the black and white dog in front of him. "Did you jump your fence again?" Daisy just wagged her tail in response.
"Come on then," he said, patting his leg to get her to follow him. "I'll take you home."

The next day Kurt, Connor, and both their dads piled into a Suburban packed tight with camping gear. "Let's get this trip started!" Kurt hooted from the back seat.

"All right!" Kurt's dad said as he turned on the ignition. Connor's dad grunted in the passenger seat.

"So, you lose any sleep last night?" Kurt said, shoving Connor.

Connor yawned. "Yeah, I had more packing to do than I thought."

Kurt gave an exasperated sigh. "Not that."