Chapter 4

The late afternoon hour demanded John return Margaret home. With both of them still floating in the clouds, they had not discussed their future in any solid terms. He had much to set in motion at the mill, and to do that he must hurry to catch the evening train, yet he could hardly think of anything except he did not know when he would see Margaret again. They stood on the doorstep. He kissed her fingers. Her face had gone pale and he recognized in her countenance the panic he felt rising within himself.

“I will check dates at the church,” he promised.

She nodded like a brave child being abandoned at an orphanage. He left her there. He had not gotten far before he turned to look back at the house. He sighed at the sight of her exactly where he’d left her, hands curled around the balustrade, the butler waiting in confusion by the open door.

He walked back to her. “This will not do,” he murmured, bending the rules of society to brush a kiss on her lips. “I will take a room here in London for the night and call on you in the morning. If you will be receiving.”

“Oh, Mr. Thornton,” she cried, further stretching the bounds of propriety by throwing her arms around his neck, just as she had on the day of the riot.

He smiled into the scratchy straw of her bonnet. “We still have much to discuss. For example, do you think you might begin to call me John? It is a hard thing when a woman uses her barrister’s Christian name, but not her betrothed’s.”

When he walked away the second time, he felt much more at ease, more right with the world than he had for months. Today, Miss Margaret Hale had agreed to become Mrs. John Thornton, making him the happiest man in all creation. Marlborough Mills would be resurrected, making him the most purposeful man in all of England. Suddenly, the two halves of his existence, the two objects he orbited that had been drifting farther and farther beyond his reach, had drawn unexpectedly closer, ready for his willing, eager attentions.

By the time he registered again at the hotel he had vacated this morning, the letter to his mother was completely composed in his mind, ready to be penned and posted tonight.

 * * * 

Dear Mother,

I have delayed in London for one more day due to the most momentous news. I will save the best to tell you in person but am hurrying to let you know some of it so you may begin some preparation for me.

I have unexpectedly found an investor who wishes to see Marlborough Mills revived. You must contact the overseer and tell him to gather every worker who still desires employment with me.

All will be revealed tomorrow, my most steadfast helpmate, but I must hurry this to tonight’s post. Just do this one task for me so that we can begin opening the mill as soon as may be possible.

 J.T.

* * *

 Dear Miss Hale,

 I only left London this morning and I already do not like this separation.

 Yours most truly,

 Mr. John Thornton

 * * *

Dear Miss Hale,

 I am impatient for your thoughts as to a wedding date and regret that we did not discuss it more decisively when I was in town. Mother has spoken to the vicar and is thinking favorably on an October date, though only after my repeated assurances that a short engagement is as much your wish as mine. She suggested you come north for a visit to make our plan. She will send an invitation for you, your Aunt Shaw, and anyone else you wish to be included. Mother is gratified by our wish for Milton nuptials, though she’d never thought to revisit the ordeal that was Fanny’s wedding. I do not want any curtness in her letter to make you anxious that she disapproves of our engagement. I have no fear, dearest, that you will be a more congenial bride than my darling sister.

 Please send your reply quickly. I am all eagerness to see you.

Yours most truly,

Mr. John Thornton

* * *

Dear Mr. Thornton,

 My Aunt Shaw assures me that no one of any import will attend an October wedding. I believe it sounds perfect, if it still suits you. The weeks since our last meeting have been tedious and hot in London. I will look forward to Mrs. Thornton’s letter, no matter how curt, and will reply with eagerness equal to yours.

 I hope her displeasure has not made you unhappy.

With great affection,

 M.H.

 * * *

 Dear Miss Hale,

 Mrs. Shaw has informed Mrs. Thornton that she does not wish to interfere in her planning of a Milton wedding. She offered to have Captain Lennox escort you north for the visit next week. I would much rather claim that honor for myself. As you are probably aware, the inbound and outbound train schedules are rather close. Do you think you could be so good as to meet me at the platform for the afternoon train on Thursday next?

 The mill is almost back to normal operation, and many of Milton’s inhabitants are anxious to see you again, though none can be more so than

Yours most truly,

Mr. John Thornton

*  *  *

Wattpad's formatting limitations frustrated me this week. I had hoped to be able to present the letters in a prettier way. Just picture John's letters in a big, bold hand and Margaret's in a pretty script.  I hope you'll come back next week for the episode when Margaret once again meets Mrs. Thornton, her future mother-in-law.  (Brr!)

Becoming Mrs. Thornton – copyright Jill Hughey 2014

Jill Hughey writes historical romance, including a sweet American historical called Sass Meets Class, and a series of five medieval romance stories called the Evolution Series. You can find Jill's work on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Jill-Hughey/e/B0067M9Q14, on Barnes and Noble at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/jill-hughey?store=allproducts&keyword=jill+hughey, and at most other ebook vendors.