Fortis | Quinque

“You’re only throwing up ‘cause you thought about it too much,” Fortis explained to me while I upchucked the little food that I had eaten.

Bracing a hand on the side of the diner, my other held my spazzing stomach. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly and spat out the remains of the bile in my mouth. Inhaling the cold, fresh air, I snapped. “I threw up because you fed me raw meat!”

I could hear his eyes roll, I could vision it on his stupid face. “It wasn’t completely raw, big baby. Believe it or not, you’re going to have to eat raw meat to survive. You’re a lycan now, little girl. Better start acting like one.”

“If I didn’t feel sick right now, I would punch you so hard in the face.” I fisted my shirt, my fingertips and nails feeling itchy. My gums started to slightly ache.

“I would like you see you try, to be honest.”

“Can you just shut up and leave me alone?” My annoyance was growing by every passing second. How could anyone think Fortis was hot and mysterious? He was annoying and mean and stupid.  

“No can do, little—”

“I swear to everything that’s good and pure in the world if you call me ‘little girl’ one more time, Fortis—”

“What are you gonna do? Punch me?”

“Actually, I’m going to—”

“Excuse me,” said a man’s voice. I turned and opened my burning eyes to see a man in his forties, dressed in plaid and a neon orange hunter hat. He had two others dressed similar behind him. His scratched at his beard, his dark brown eyes glancing at Fortis.

“Yes? As you can see me and my girlfriend are having a little argument so if you could—I don’t know—fuck off, that’d be great, dude,” Fortis snapped, sounding annoyed.

The man glared at Fortis, his pupils dilating. “Listen here, pup, you should show some respect to your elders, especially in a town that you have no business in being.”

Fortis turned away from the man and shut his eyes, annoyance seeming to be his permanent expression. He growled lowly to himself. “Look, it’s been a long day, man. Sorry for snapping at you but as you can see my pregnant girlfriend is having some sickness.” He gestured to me.

Hiding my surprise, I acted along with the part by placing my hand over my flat stomach. I grimaced to the man, slightly nodding.

The man looked at me, then to Fortis. “Well, I don’t want y’all to cause any trouble in my town, got that? I don’t wanna hear about some wolf killin’ livestock in the news. If I do, we’re comin’ after ya. Hear me, kid?”

Fortis nodded.

The man nodded and turned away, but then sniffed the air as the wind blew a gust. My hair whipped into my face and I spat out the strands.

The man took a step closer to me, and Fortis seemed to grow on edge. He watched the man, calculating his every move.

“Wow,” he said, staring at me with a gleam in his eye. The corner of his lips lifted behind his mustache. “I haven’t ever met a female lycan.”

“U-Uh, what?” I asked, my hands wringing together in confusion and my cheeks flushed from the attention.

Fortis eyes got wider, his arms dropping from covering his chest.

“You!” the man exclaimed, sounding too excited. “You’re something rare, don’t you know?”

“Um, n-no. Sorry.” My nervous glance went to Fortis, who had taken a protective step forward.

“Most female lycans don’t survive their first shift, but here you are! Alive and well, and pregnant no less.” He turned to Fortis and clapped him on the back. “You got yourself quiet a catch there, bub. Make sure you take good care of her and your child.”

When the man walked away with his friends, the talked about how they’ll probably never meet another female lycan again. I leaned against the brick wall of Tommy’s Diner, my blood drained from my face and for the first time since I’ve been bitten, I started to shiver.

“Mercy—” Fortis started to say, but stopped when I started shaking my head.

My knees knocked together and I crossed my goose bump ridden arms over my heaving chest. “I’m going to die. I’m going to die, Fortis.”

Making his way through the snow, his arms came around my shoulder and pulled me to his unnaturally warm chest. I breathed harder, tears starting to form in my eyes as he walked us back to the truck. 

He leaned down to whisper in my ear. “You’re not gonna die, you hear me? I’m not gonna let you die.”