p r o l o g u e

Lucius Abraxas Malfoy was tired. It was two in the morning, and his wards had just gone off. Ridiculous! Who could even be trying to get past the wards of Malfoy Manor at this time of night?

He placated a barely-awake Narcissa and apparated to the gates. There was nobody there. As a quick precaution, he cast a shield around himself and muttered "lumos" as he stepped out of the protection  of the manor.

An  earsplitting wail cracked through the previously silent night, and, had he not been as careful, he would have stepped straight on the source of the crying. As it was, he barely saw the poor thing, it was so tiny. A little girl, bundled up on the ground, a letter poking out of the pink blanket she was swaddled in. 

He paled, stood still for a moment, and then making his decision, carefully picked up the baby, and hurried inside, making colorful sparks with his wand in an attempt to quiet the girl. Her large chocolate eyes peered up at him as she giggled at a dragon made of sparks flying around them. 

"Narcissa! Cissa!" She wasn't in their room, so he hurried across the hall to Draco's nursery. "Narcissa!"

She looked up, about to sharply silence him, when she saw the girl. Horrified, she reached her arms out for the baby. Lucius complied but kept the letter and opened it, settling against a wall to read it aloud.

Lord and Lady Malfoy,

Lovely to write to you again. I regret to say that I must once again ask your help on a matter of the utmost importance. I know that young Draco must be around a year and half, yes? This little girl is called Hermione Granger. She recently turned two, though she will be in the same year as Draco when he gets to Hogwarts (date of birth: September 19th, 1979). 

I have asked several others to care for her, as her parents have both passed in a quite fatal car accident. Unfortunately, nobody is available at the moment. I know that these are hard times, especially for you, but all I ask is that she gets a loving home to grow up in.

You may need some essential information about her. I am sorry I could not stay longer but something else required my attention at this time. Miss Granger is, in fact, a muggleborn witch, but I beg that you do not discriminate for this fact. No child deserves to be treated poorly because of their blood, and especially not at an age as young as this.

Please join me in my office at Hogwarts tomorrow at two to discuss. I am aware that you can refuse to take her in, but I hope that you will have mercy and open your admittedly rather large home to her in the coming years. 

You will not be alone in this if you choose to keep her. Molly Weasley has expressed willingness to help with the children if it is ever needed. Sirius Black (he is your cousin, Narcissa, please talk to him. He has expressed many times his desire to see you again) and Remus Lupin are fighting for custody of one Harry Potter right now, and if they accomplish this goal, it would be most beneficial to have the option of leaving Hermione and Draco in their care for short periods of time. 

I know you must be quite busy with your job at the Ministry, Lucius, but all I ask is that you try. Tomorrow at two. I happen to fancy lemon drops.

Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Lucius looked up at Narcissa, who looked stricken, but had a determined look on her face. "Narcis-"

"No, Lucius, he's right. No child deserves to be treated poorly because of their blood. Besides, he's right about the huge house, and it's not like I work."