28: Crossroads

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Jesse by Laura Hollingsworth. All graphics by me.

Book 1: The Green, Book 2: Lynch's Boys, Book 3: The Road Home, and the Riders & Kickers Anthology are available on Amazon under the name Regina Shelley. So if you hate waiting for chapter posts and/or want a more polished read, the finished product is available now.

Jesse really hadn't realized just how uncomfortable his old work boots had been until he'd gotten used to the feeling of the moccasins on his feet. The moccasins were also worn out, with holes and unraveled seams. Still, they were soft and supple and took the brunt of most of the rocks he stepped on. His boots, bartered away by Eagle Bone, had been in sorrier shape, with cracked soles and holes that rubbed his feet sore. Despite his displeasure at losing every stitch of clothing he'd been wearing when he was found by Runs Laughing's band, he had to admit he was warm and comfortable in the hand-me-down leathers he now wore. I was due for a new pair of boots anyways when I get back. Losing my coat, stings, though. He sighed heavily, worry about Lily crowding his thoughts. She's got to be wondering what's become of me.

He pulled the strap holding the empty water skins on his shoulder, gathering them back into place and quickening his step to keep up with Runs Laughing. The sun felt good on his back, and the grass beneath his feet was soft and cool. Runs Laughing ran ahead of them, her black braids swinging behind her like kite tails as she skipped. Warming winds swept in waves over the grass, tugging and tumbling his hair and the fringes on his shirt.

Still Water Woman walked beside him, several empty skins slung over her own shoulder. She favored him with a faint smile, and he was glad to see the weary sadness that had so often darkened her face was, at least for today, not troubling her. Two Elk appeared to notice it, too, and seemed to be in a particularly good mood as he limped along beside Still Water Woman. The shells buttons woven into his long, silver hair clicked and tinkled like wind chimes as he limped along on his walking stick. In his fringed and beaded garments, he was a riot of color against the rocky and greening landscape, and Jesse found himself once again wondering about the man's extravagant clothing. The more time he spent in the village, the more aware he became of how people normally dressed. Two Elk stood out like a spotted horse in a pasture of brown cows.

"Two Elk?" Jesse ventured, speaking English.

The old man turned his craggy face towards Jesse, waiting.

No idea how he's going to react to this... "Two Elk...I gotta ask. Is...is that a woman's dress you're wearing?"

"No." The old man's eyes crinkled with wry humor. "It's my dress. A woman's dress would be too short for me."

Jesse wasn't sure if the man was teasing him or being serious.

He glanced over at Still Water Woman again. She was watching them, unable to follow the conversation, but clearly realizing Two Elk was amused. She smiled, pleasure evident on her face, and Jesse felt a surge of affection to see her happiness. While he couldn't forget that she was his captor, he also couldn't forget that she was his rescuer. If it wasn't for her, I'd be dead five times already. The sun gleamed in her black hair as it rifled around her face in the wind, and Jesse was fairly certain he'd never seen a woman look as beautiful as she did right now. If and when I finally get out of this mess...I'm going to miss this woman and her little sister.

Ahead of them, Runs Laughing halted abruptly and stumbled backward, clearly startled, and Jesse heard a man call out. He gasped, breaking into a run towards her, Still Water Woman bolting forward beside him.

The river was just ahead, and Runs Laughing ran back to them, alarmed and chattering in Lakota as she pulled out her knife. Four white men came around the bend in the river, carbines and pistols in their hands. Jesse gasped, suddenly afraid. He grabbed the child's arm and instinctively pulled her close to him.

The men stopped, nervously glancing around. He saw them deflate with relief when they realized the party of Indians they were seeing were not warriors. Behind them on the riverbank, he saw tripods and books. Surveyors. This is it, he thought wildly, his heart starting to pound. I'm rescued.

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!