Ten

Joaquin stayed close, crouched at my side as we crept back up to the camp. He tapped me on the shoulder and I stopped, looking back at him. He stretched his hand out to me, offering me his silenced .38.

"This way you can be sure." He whispered as my fingers curled around the grip.

I nodded and set my eyes back on the camp. everybody was running around, looking for me I assumed. One of them started in our direction and Joaquin pulled me closer to him.

The man stepped into the woods and when he was sure he was out of view from everyone else, Joaquin pounced, quickly slicing the man's throat open. The only sound he made was a muted gurgle as he fell to the ground.

One by one, the men went off in different directions until the only one left in the camp was Tyler. He sat at the fire, a bottle of whiskey to his lips.

Rage took over and I stood. Joaquin quickly grabbed my hand to try to pull me down but I jerked away from him. I shook my head no, and he seemed to understand that I needed to do it up close and personal.

I made no noise as I walked up behind him. I pointed the barrel to the back of his head and gritted my teeth.

"Turn around and look at me you mother fucker."

His body visibly tensed. He moved his hand slowly towards his hip, reaching for his gun.

"Don't you do it. I'd hate to have to blow your brains out before I get to give you a piece of my mind." His hand stilled. "Now turn around and face me."

He slowly turned and the color was gone from his face.

"You should have stayed dead, you dumb son of a bitch. How did you even find me?"

"I saw you as I was leading the group to a new spot about five miles out. If you'd come any earlier or later I'd never have known you were around."

I felt my stomach knot up. That meant it was my fault Olan was dead. It was my fault Cody was potentially gone as well. My eyes filled with tears.

I sniffled and straightened up, holding my arms out stiffly, pointing the gun at Tyler.

"I'm not doing this just for me. I'm doing this for what is left of this world. There's enough shit going on around here without you raping and pillaging your way through it like you're some kind of Viking war lord. I'm doing this for Olan and Cody. You need to be stopped, and I'm so happy I get to be the one to do it." With that, I pulled the trigger. The gun kicked and the recoil vibrated my arm, but I quickly set it back into place and took another shot.

Tyler fell over, two holes in his face. As sadistic as it was, I couldn't fight the smile that came on. I felt Joaquin's hand as he squeezed my shoulder.

"We should go before they come back." He pulled me along on our way back to the compound. As we left the camp, he bent over to scoop up my clothes from the ground. "You should get dressed. I'll keep watch." He handed the pile of fabric to me.

My shirt had and bra had been ripped off of me, so they were useless. I pulled the shorts over my legs and cleared my throat. "It's ok."

Joaquin turned back to face me. His eyes settled on the torn material in my hand.

"It's my shirt and bra. I'm fine with the jacket." I pulled it closer to myself. It blocked the wind, but if I were completely honest, the material irritated my skin.

"Are you sure? Here." In an instant, he whipped his sweater over his head and held it out for me.

"Really, I'm alright." I smiled at him.