03: Females Bite

03: Females Bite

Davie spent her first couple of weeks with Carter at the center of her day-to-day operations. He helped her to set up her rental home on Maple with utilities and all the basic needs. He escorted her around campus and some of the surrounding neighborhoods and parks. She found that access to local grocery stores and markets was relatively easy and the immediate area around Tulane and Loyola was very walkable. Living a college lifestyle for the past 10 years spoiled Davie for walking and biking.

Her office and lab spaces were about 8 minutes away by university bus or shuttle and transportation was reliable and air conditioned. She also realized very quickly that she would need to bring a couple of changes of clothes to her office at the psychology labs. She found that she sweated through her clothes a few times in the first days of navigating the city.

"Dr. Kaplan? May I come in?" Dr. Edward McClendon, the head of the Anxiety Disorders Research Clinic and her immediate supervisor stood in the doorway of Davie's small office. In his late 50's Dr. McClendon was balding and could stand to lose a few extra pounds but was otherwise a generally agreeable and attractive man. He was in his 20th year at Tulane, originally hailing from Boston University.

"Mm-Hmm," Davie nodded, smiling and waving him in, she motioned to the chair on the other side of her desk. Her desk was specially outfitted with an iPad on a swivel mount that Dr. McClendon could adjust in height and angle.

As Davis typed in responses to questions and comments the software displayed the text and vocalized the communication. She had been using the software for some time and was able to add in shortcuts to common phrases, specific syntax, and specialized vocabulary for her field of study. The software was loaded on her computer, iPad, and phone.

Dr. McClendon smiled as he sat. He was struck by the beauty and confidence the young woman exuded. He quickly reviewed the touch screen and chose to leave the voice communication on so he could maintain eye contact and wouldn't need to read Dr. Kaplan's responses.

Davie typed,"Good morning Dr. McClendon." The female voice from the device was soft and just slightly timbered. There was only a bit of a disconnect in hearing the voice and seeing Davie. It sounded astoundingly "real" and almost perfectly natural. It worked well.

"Wow Dr. Kaplan! That's going to take a little getting used to!"

Davie grinned and laughed. "Mm-Hmm! Yes! It does." She winked jovially,"Sometimes I like to change the voice just to throw off my students. I'm waiting for the 'Darth Vader' update."

Dr. McClendon laughed. In just the few times he met with Davie during the interview process and her initial meetings he could see she was exceptionally adept at communicating and putting individuals at ease. "I hope you're finding your way around our facilities okay? Our support staff is exceptional, just ask. And please, it's 'Ed' in informal settings.

"Yes, Ed. Thank you. My classes seem to be off to a good start. I have a freshman seminar and a 400 level graduate class. I'm excited to start rolling with my research. Next week I'll be meeting with a couple of participants for my initial case studies."

"Well it sounds like you've hit the ground running! I'll just work on staying out of your way."

Davie laughed lightly. "Yes, I'm settling in, and Carter has been extremely helpful. Would you prefer I bring along my voice technology to faculty meetings or Carter?"

"Hmmmm ... good question. I think whatever is most comfortable for you. If for any reason there is an issue with your colleagues or a meeting that needs to be confidential I'll email you ahead of time."