Love Through The Ages

Barry and Caitlin were sitting in STAR labs with nothing else to do. There had been a reduction in crime in Central City and so there was little for them to do.

There was a loud crash which alerted them to someone else's presence in the lab. Immediately, Barry ran off and went on a quick survey of the lab, searching for the intruder.

"Good morning, Dr. Snow," an ominous male voice boomed through the cortex while she was alone.

"Who are you?" Caitlin asked, taking multiple steps back as she saw a figure emerge from the darkness.

"My name is The Past Prince," he replied.

"Cait, stay back," Barry ran in and stood in front of her to protect her from this metahuman's malice. "What do you want?"

"Just you two together so I can send you on a journey that you'll never forget," he chuckled then thrust his arm forward opening a purple vortex. And as if they were attracted by its pull the pair was magnetized into the vortex.

...

They woke up side by side in a field, their hands touching slightly. 

"Cait, are you okay?" Barry asked, concerned. Standing up swiftly to help her off the ground, taking her other hand.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where are we?" she replied. They glanced around their surroundings and realized that they were no longer in Central City. There was a chill in the air one that they had never felt in Central City. "Barry, we should get back to STAR labs. Figure out what happened,"

Barry picked her up and attempted to use his speed but to no avail.

"You don't have your powers?" she questioned.

"No," he replied, putting her back down again.

"Hello, Mr. Allen, Dr. Snow," the ominous voice boomed once again and The Past Prince appeared again in front of them. "You are in 1468 in the beautiful rural countryside of England. You see, there's a reason why they call me the past prince. Perhaps, if you make your way into town you'll see why. But don't worry, none of the townspeople can see you," he stated then laughed menacingly and faded away.

"Let's do what he says. If we play by the rules of his game then we might find our way out of here," Barry suggested. Caitlin nodded in response and they followed a dirt path and soon found themselves in a small town. 

They wandered through hand in hand through the bustling streets and it seemed that the townsfolk could not see or feel their presence at all. It was as if they were ghosts. But they must be here for a reason, otherwise, they wouldn't be here at all.

They came to what they assumed was the town square. A well was situated in the middle of it and stalls of various goods were placed around.

Through the busy crowds of people, Barry spotted a familiar face in the crowd. A young fair-faced woman. Caitlin.

"Cait, is that you?" he asked his friend who had not spotted her, pointing towards the woman who was ambling towards the well with a bucket in hand.

"Oh my God, it is," Caitlin gasped, ogling her counterpart.

"We should follow her. Perhaps, she is why we're here. She must be related. It can't be a coincidence," Barry replied, squeezing her hand to comfort her.

They followed her around for the rest of the day until evening came and the full moon shone on the town. They were sitting outside her home, looking in from the kitchen window. They hadn't heard anything but they saw her walk to the front door and open it and a smile drew itself on her face as she saw who was at her door.

It wasn't until she let in her visitor and they had shared a kiss and a hug that Barry and Caitlin saw who the other Caitlin's visitor was. It was Barry.

"Oh my God is that you?" Caitlin gasped.

"I think so. And we are... together," he replied in shock.

As the evening progressed they watched speechlessly as they watched these other thems converse and eat dinner like they were in love. Which it seemed they were.

The next action shocked them both. Even the other Caitlin was shocked.

The other Barry got down on one knee and pulled out a ring. They could only assume that he was proposing. And from her reaction and the ring being slid onto her finger, it was obvious that she accepted.

"Awww, I see you found your past lives," the ominous voice stated, The Past Prince emerging from the shadows once again.

"Past lives?" Caitlin questioned.

"Oh, didn't I tell you? This is not some alternate dimension that I pulled out from a hat. There's a reason why I'm called The Past Prince. I have taken you on a journey to the past to meet your past lives. This really happened,"

"Wait, so our past lives were actually in love? What happened to them?" Caitlin asked curiously.

"Well, as you just saw they got engaged. If I remember correctly they get married, have many children and live out their days happily and in love," he replied. "So now, I can send you home,"

"Wait, you sent us here just to see our past lives in love?" Barry questioned.

"Well yes. Perhaps, you will see that you might be better off together," and with that, he opened another vortex and just like before they were sucked into it.

However, this time they landed back in STAR labs.

"Wow..." Caitlin trailed off.

"Yep..."

"You know. Do you think that that metahuman was right? That we might be good together?"

"I do kinda like you. I think that I maybe might love you,"

"Me too," she replied and they kissed for the first time in centuries.