Chapter Four

Hey guys! Here's the fourth chapter of the story I've been commissioned by the Schick Quattro YOUcampaign to bring you! We're almost at the end of Chloe's journey. I hope you like it!!! 

"Chloe, are you okay? You've been spacing out."

I snapped my attention to Layla, who was watching me curiously from her bunk. "Huh? I'm okay."

"You've been spacing out the past couple days," Cameron commented. "Is something wrong?"

"No, no. It's really nothing!"

"Are you sad that the camp is almost over? We only have a few days left," Ling sighed, drawing her knees up to her chest. She sat at the desk, trying to clean the accumulated dirt off her sneakers. "I'm starting to feel a little depressed about it."

"Yeah, I can't believe it's almost over. I might cry," Layla said, chewing on her bottom lip. "I can't believe we're all graduating college this year."

"I can't believe Chloe only has one semester while the rest of us have two. I knew I should have taken summer classes!" Cameron complained.

Even though I knew they were joking, I couldn't find it in me to smile. Now I wish I hadn't taken the courses to graduate early. Back then I didn't realize it would mean losing time with my best friends. They might've been jealous of me for finishing early, but I was more jealous they still had a year together.

"Who cares anyway?" Ling asked, leaning backwards in her chair and slowly spinning in a circle. "It's not like it's going to change our lives that much. We'll still live together. We should start looking at houses we could rent."

My whole body froze, except my heart, which beat frantically in my chest. I'd forgotten about that. The four of us had planned to share a house as soon as we graduated. If I went to California, they would be out one girl. We all had so many plans together, plans we'd been making since high school. How could I abandon them?

"Chloe? Chloe?"

I turned to Cameron, my stomach twisting uncomfortably. "Yeah?"

"Something is going on with you. Spill. You're as pale as a ghost. Obviously something is bothering you."

"Yeah, tell us. We're your best friends. Whatever worries you, worries us," Layla agreed, nodding her head.

"It's not—"

"Chloe," Ling said admonishingly.

With all watching me, I felt like a deer in headlights. Gripping the tops of my thighs, I took a deep breath. They had a right to know. Keeping it from them wasn't right. "To be honest, I have a job offer."

Cameron gasped and Ling clapped her hands excitingly. "Where? Where?"

"In California..."

I waited, expecting their faces to drop. For the looks of disappointment. For them to try and convince me not to go.

"That's amazing!" Layla cried. "Where in California? By the ocean? That would be perfect for you!"

"Yeah, what's the job? Teaching?" Ling asked, scooting her chair over to the bed. "I've always wanted to go to California!"

My mouth fell open. They were excited?

"Is that what you've been worrying about?" Cameron inquired, folding her arms across her chest. "Why were you stressing about that? That's amazing. You should have told us sooner."