FIRE & FLOOD Research

FIRE & FLOOD was one of the first books I had to perform research for. Because the world is our own, and not a fantasy or future environment, I needed to have a firm understanding of what my characters would face. The Brimstone Bleed, a dangerous race in which Contenders fight for a Cure for their loved ones, takes place across four ecosystems—jungle, desert, mountain, sea. Because I don't have expansive knowledge on those subjects, off to research I went!

For the jungle and desert, I stared by searching online. I devoured several articles about the vegetation and animal species that thrived there, and in the case of the animals, I researched how they would react if spooked by a human. But mostly, I watched videos: Man vs. Wild, I Shouldn't Be Alive, and Extreme Survival to name a few. I scrambled to record every piece of advice these people had, and I learned a plethora of disturbing things. For example, how large jungle ants can grow (big), and how a cooked snake would taste (boney, tough), and how quick sand works, exactly (the harder you struggle, the faster you'll die). I learned how swiftly a river could rise in the jungle (extremely fast), and what natural substance you could use to form a raft (a type of bamboo). I also figured out just how cold it could get in the desert at night (seriously cold), and what the local animals did to survive living there (lick their coat with special saliva, travel at night). And finally, I learned all about leeches and how to stop their bites from continuing to bleed long after they're pulled from your body (a certain leaf smashed into a pulp).

I then moved onto research for the ocean ecosystem. For that part of the series, I traveled to Galveston, TX and visited the state aquarium. A tour guide there took me around and showed me how a starfish feels in your hand (rough and creepy), and taught me a number of bone-chilling things about jelly fish and sharks. In short, the Texas State Aquarium showed me all the beautifully wicked ways you can die in the ocean. And that was just from the marine life. I then read more articles and watched even more videos on surviving in the ocean aboard a boat...and a raft—because you never know. One of the most interesting moments of my nautical research was spreading out at my desk, no less than a dozen sail boat diagrams covering the surface, trying to memorize the different parts and how they worked. Then trying to decide what I could work into the story without overwhelming the reader.

I won't divulge too much about the mountain research, lest I spoil the journey. But I will say it's been a blast preparing to write the first and second books in the FIRE & FLOOD series, and I hope you guys enjoy reading the fruits of that labor. Remember, should you ever find yourself in a jungle with only a Pandora by your side—stay dry, and stay away from underground caves. 

- Victoria Scott, author of FIRE & FLOOD