Chapter Twenty One: Exhaustion and Escapades

"Come on Draco." hissed Hermione. She cradled a sleeping Audrey in her arms. Draco scurried beside her, carrying a wide load of baggage. "Oh for Merlins sake, are you a wizard or not?"

Draco's eyes widened and he manged to flick his wand, enabling the items to float behind him. He followed his wife and daughter to the floo station. Hermione grabbed a fistful and was sucked out. Draco hurried along after her. When they arrived at their town house, they were greeted by a small group of friends and family.

"Welcome home Audrey Grace!" cheered a chorus of people. Hermione did her best to smile, even though she wanted to be alone. She understood their being there though.

"Aw, can I hold her?" asked Narcissa immediately. Hermione bit her lip, but handed the sleeping baby off to her grandmother.

"Don't worry, they know they can't stay past seven." whispered Draco. Hermione subtly glanced at the clock. It was only four.

"Thank fucking god." grumbled Hermione as the guests left. The only one who remained was Narcissa. She was wringing her hands together as she stared at the young couple.

"Narcissa is there something you need?" asked Hermione, biting the inside of her cheek to keep from snapping at her mother in law.

"Well, traditionally when a pureblood couple is married the parents present them with a house elf, to show they approve. But, you were married so early, when you were in Hogwarts. We- Lucius and I- decided to wait until your daughter was born. So now that she has been, Dali!"

Hermione's mouth dropped as a small house elf popped in. She had huge batlike ears, just like Dobby, and huge blue eyes. She wore a filthy, what appeared to be once pink, sheet that hung loosely off her limp body. A small tuft of yellowish hair sat around and in between her ears. Hermione was horrified, and Draco could tell.

"Mother, Mia doesn't exactly approve of house elves." said Draco carefully. Hermione crossed her arms defiantly. Narcissa's smile fell. Dali began to tug at her ears.

"You can't not accept it, it's improper." replied Narcissa tightly. Draco let out a huff of air. Hermione grit her teeth together, willing herself not to retort. Saved by the bell, metaphorically, Audrey began to cry. Hermione turned away, walking over to the baby who laid in her bassinet. She lifted up the screeching infant.

"She needs to be fed." said Hermione coldly. She moved to leave, when a squeaky voice stopped her.

"Dali can do it Missus. Tis Dali's job."

Hermione spun around, nearly bursting with intolerance. She gave a curt, "No thank you.", before scurrying up the stairs to feed Audrey. Meanwhile Draco stared at his mother, now bluntly angry.

"Mother you now that my wife is a muggle born. Muggle borns are not accustomed to having a house elf." snapped Draco.

Narcissa's eyes narrowed. "It's proper pureblood etiquette."

Draco threw his hands up. "Precisely. Mia isn't a pureblood, and I do not mean that in a condescending way!"

"Fine, you till should keep the damned elf. It will be a huge help." snapped Narcissa. She stepped into the floo and left. Dali was rocking back and forth.

"Master?" whispered Dali. Draco nearly shouted at her, but thought better.

"Dali, why don't you start cooking dinner? Perhaps a light soup." suggested Draco, forcing a smile. Dali's face lit up as she skipped into the kitchen. Draco practically ran up the stairs.

"Mia? Dali is making dinner." said Draco, knocking on the nursery door. Hermione sat in the corner, Audrey feeding. She pulled Audrey off, revealing a red looking nipple. Draco made a face.

"Does it hurt?" asked Draco curiously. Hermione gave a wry grin.

"Course. Not as bad as child birth though." She began to pat Audrey's back. The newborn burped dutifully. "Draco, I don't feel comfortable with Dali."

Draco sighed, sinking onto the blush carpet. "I know you don't. Mother was only trying to help, honestly. It's proper etiquette for me. What if we are nice to Dali and offer her a wage?"

Hermione cocked her head to the side, considering. "Alright. I think that sounds fair."

Draco's face lit up. He plucked Audrey from her arms, and began rocking her. "Hi sweetie. Daddy's here."

Hermione sighed, content with their little family.

"WAAAH!" wailed Audrey. Hermione groaned miserably. It was three in the morning and Audrey wouldn't stop crying. She wailed and wailed and wailed! If she fell asleep, it lasted for a mere hour. Draco snored soundly beside her, so Hermione yanked back the covers. Cold air attacked her body, making her shiver. She pulled on a robe and staggered over to the bassinet. She lifted her daughter up, comforting her. Her cries soon turned to whimpers which evolved into silence. Hermione wearily laid her back down. She practically dove back into her bed and closed her eyes. Sleep wasn't far when she heard:

"Waah! Waah!"

"Draco!" snarled Hermione, nudging the sleeping man sharply.

"MIA! MIA! MIA!" screamed Draco. Audrey burst into tears at the yelling. Hermione dropped the laundry she was doing. She sprinted up the stairs and into the en suite where Draco was giving Audrey a sponge bath.

"What?" gasped Hermione, standing in the room. Draco's eyes were widened with fear. He held up what looked like a rotting carrot.

"It-it just fell off her!" gasped Draco.

Hermione laughed. "Why the hell are you laughing!"

"Because dear, it's her umbilical cord stump. It's supposed to fall off fifteen or so days after birth." giggled Hermione.

"Oh...I knew that..."

"Hermione? Hermione?" called Ginny as she stepped into the Malfoy house. James fussed in his car seat, and Jonathan reacted. Ginny set the twins down in a nearby play pen. Hermione and her were supposed to go over Halloween, which was in a week. Ginny meandered into the kitchen, where a tiny house elf was cooking up a storm.

"Hello." greeted Ginny. The elf jumped.

"Pardon me missus! You scared Dali." gasped the elf.

"Sorry. I'm looking for Hermione." replied Ginny.

"Missus Hermione is upstairs with little Audrey and Master Draco." notified the elf. Ginny nodded, but her eyes caught sight of a stack of moving photos on the kitchen table. Birth announcements.

Draco Lucius and Hermione Jean Malfoy proudly welcome the birth of their daughter:

Audrey Grace Malfoy. Born October the second. Audrey Grace was born at three minutes past five am.

Ginny smiled at the smiling picture of the small Malfoy family. She set them back down and trooped up the stairs. She walked through the small hallway and saw the door to their room slightly ajar. Ginny smiled and pushed it all the way open. She held in a laugh when she saw the new parents out cold, spit up rags on Hermione and Draco had dirty laundry on him.

"The joys of being a new parent."