A Secret Admirer

The weeks that followed Phil’s accidents were ones of change. Well, at least for Molly. First of all, she got someone else to sit next to in Bio. She used to work together with Phil, but since he had a broken arm and various torn ligaments he still wasn’t attending school. Fortunately, her new partner did not disappoint. It was David. A broad-shouldered soccer-playing senior guy, who everyone at school simultaneously looked up to and wanted to be friends with. Including Molly.

Speaking of partners, Molly had made another positive development relating to a certain Chemistry partner. After that afternoon behind the hospital, Sherlock had started slowly fading from her mind. He still wasn’t gone, but Molly wasn’t losing sleep over him anymore. No more worrying about what she had said or done.  No more breaking rules about fighting. Molly was back in control again.  Or at least, that was what she told herself.

The last and most recent change did not just affect Molly, but the entire school. In the last two days, the entire school was filled with hearts, roses and all sorts of pink objects. Valentine’s day was approaching. Unlike Molly’s school in London, Valentine’s day was actually a big deal at this school. Students could send roses to each other and leave romantic messages, but most importantly there was the Valentine’s dance. An event that had been part of every student’s conversation during the past week.

It was also part of the conversation Molly, Meena and Sally were having, while enjoying the first tiny rays of sunlight on a bench in the schoolyard. They became distracted, when suddenly a blonde boy came jogging towards them.  David.

“Hi there, ladies.  Molly,” He gave her a little nod, while greeted all the girls with a broad smile. He was holding a small box in his left hand.

“Hi, David” Sally and Meena both said in their sweetest voice.

With a tiny smile Molly just said “Hi.” She had actually gotten to know him quite well and it was strange to suddenly be reminded of how everyone saw him as the popular guy. Not that she blamed them, though. With his blonde curls, crooked smile and smooth talk, he simply demanded admiration.

“You girls want some chocolate?” He asked, opening the box he held. “It’s for charity, so I thought I’d buy a whole box from the Valentine’s committee. It’s way too much, for just me.”

“Don’t you have someone special to share it with?” Sally asked, looking up at him innocently. Molly felt herself become uncomfortable. She really wasn’t in the mood to discuss this kind of stuff.

While a lot of guys would have been somewhat embarrassed by this question, David just gave her his famous half-smile and answered; “No, I don’t. Not yet.”

This made Sally’s eyebrows fly up,  Molly could almost see her sorting through recent gossip in her made. Trying to figure who David’s new girl would be.

“So, what about you  girls? Someone taking you to the dance?” He continued.

Molly spotted just a tiny bit of nervousness in his voice and wondered if this question had been the entire reason he had come over.

“I’m going with Sam, but just as friends,” Sally answered overly nonchalant. “And Meena is probably going with Ian.”

This caused Meena’s expression to turn sour, because she had just told Sally she would go with Phil or not at all. Yet, she was too shy to call out her friend on her bossy behavior.

“What about you, Molly? Who you’re going with?” David asked her, while he looked at her with a gaze that was much more intense than usual.

Molly felt her stomach turn a little. Why did it suddenly feel awkward between them?