6 years later

We're running. Fast as we can. Panting, our breath creating mist in the cold December air. Christmas lights illuminate our path towards the roof. Larry grapples the chimney and hoists himself onto the tiles. He reaches back down for me and, with effort, manages to drag me up the brick wall. I paw at the roof tiles, sending some flying down and piercing the still night.

"Hey! Get back!"

We hear Hammer's footsteps echo through the dark alleyway. Without hesitation, we bolt across the roof top and jump to the next roof, barely making it. We're up and running, the cold breeze on my face, in my hair, freedom waving everywhere. We made it out. We escaped from Hammer and his gang. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

We make our first steal at a convenience store.

"Easy," Larry comments. "Go in, get bubble gum. Get out. Voila." We proceed into the sliding doors and head directly to the sweets aisle. We grab strawberry and stuff the packages up our sleeves and make a hasty exit, wobbling around the shopkeeper, who eyes us suspiciously. 

"Mmm...", Larry says, tearing open the package and filling his mouth with gum. He starts chewing vigorously, licking the sugar off the corners of his mouth.

"That was a good start. Next time, we're robbing a bank." 

I laugh and punch him on the arm. "We have to take it slow, bro. If we try to take on a bank without practice, we'll fail for sure. You understand? We should go for more low-key locations. Like another supermarket or something." 

"Fine," Larry grunts. "We rob somewhere low key. But I want that golden crown. It calls to me in its lonely glass case." He makes a royal gesture circling his head. "I shall be the king of all!"

"Yes, your highness," I bow, barely containing my laugh.