Chapter 9

Kate's p.o.v.
We finished eating in silence. And not that ok comfortable silence either. No it was a full blown awkward silence.
      Hunter had already finished his burger, and was leaned back in his chair staring out the window.
     I took the last bite and crumpled up the paper it was in. Hunter stood up abruptly, grabbed the tray and walked off.
    How rude. I thought. I walked by the counter to tip the waiter.
    As soon as I walked up to the counter, the waiter saw me and his face lit up, though he tried to hide it and be cool.
    "Escaping your boyfriend are ya?" He walked up to me and crossed his arms. He had taken his apron off, and I could see his Motionless in White t-shirt, his black jeans, and converse. "Take a picture. It'll last longer."
    "Oh no. I was looking at your shirt. I like that band." I thought up the quickest lie I could.
     "Really? You don't look like an MIW fan." He raised one eyebrow.
     For some reason, that was funnier to me than it should be. I laughed.
"Yeah, well, you never know." I smiled and handed him his tip. I walked out the door and toward the truck.

Hunter's p.o.v.
I was leaning against the door of the truck, waiting for Kate to get out so we could go home. I glanced toward the restaurant and saw her talking to Chase.
He had his arms crossed and was staring down at her with a smirk on his face. He said something and she started laughing. It irked me. I hadn't been able to get her to laugh, so how could he? I was partly impressed though.
Why was I even caring? I didn't even like her.
She shot him a smile and walked out, sticking her wallet back in her pocket.
I walked over to her side and opened the door for her.
"Thank you." Wait, she didn't argue? Or make some smart aleck comment? Chase sure put her in a good mood.
I got in my side and turned the keys as soon as the truck started up, I turned the radio way up and started pulling out. I really didn't feel like talking right now.
I glanced to the side and saw her lean her head against the window and close her eyes.
Probably thinking about him. He didn't even deserve to be named anymore.

Kate's p.o.v.
I closed my eyes, listening to the music. It was Peter Pan by Kelsea Ballerini. I didn't even know I had drifted off when I felt Hunter slam on the brakes.
     I jolted up. "What? What happened?"
     "Road closed." Is all he said.
What's up with him? "Okay, we'll just have to take a detour."
      He turned off onto a dirt road and started driving again. I waited a few minutes before speaking.
      "Okay. What is your problem?" I turned to him.
      He kept his eyes straight ahead, his expression unchanging. "I don't have a problem."
     "Oh really? I've already found out that you aren't really the quiet, brooding type. So what's up?"
      Finally he looked at me, but his eyes were cold. "I thought you didn't want to talk to me. When did that change, huh?"
       "When did I ever give you a reason to think that I didn't want to talk?"
        "Pretty much since we first met. You've done nothing but ignore me and not except my help."
        "Because I don't need it. Now move the truck. We stopped moving
         "What?" Hunter looked down at the steering wheel. He pushed on the gas pedal, but the truck didn't move, it just made an odd sound and I could hear the tires spinning. I opened my door and leaned out.
         Mud. There was mud everywhere. "Hunter! Stop! We won't get anywhere."
       "Huh?" He leaned out his side and looked out. "Oh."
       "Well, let's get out and push." I started taking my boots and socks off.
      "Woah, woah, woah, wait. Stay here. I'll push."
      "You've got to be kidding me. Naw bro. I'm not missing out on this. No way." I jumped down into the mud. I felt it squish between my toes and around my ankles. It was deeper than I thought but it was amazing! 
      I walked toward the back at the same time as Hunter.
     "Alright." We both positioned ourselves behind the bumper. "1. 2. 3 push!"
       The truck didn't budge.
      "Again. 1. 2. 3." We pushed as hard as we could, and it moved an inch.
    "Yes!!" I stood up and shook my arms out. "let's do this again!"
    This time, it moved again, but Hunter wasn't ready and he fell face first into the mud. I tried to control my laughter, I really did. But I've never had very good self control.
    I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna pee my pants.
     "Oh! That's funny is it?" Hunter stood up and wiped his face. "Let's just see how funny it is when it's you."
      He started walking towards me.
     Shoot. I tried running away, but he was faster and I kept tripping. He swooped me up over his shoulder.
     "Hunter! Put me down!" I started punching his back, and it didn't seem to affect him.
     He carried me to the muddiest part of the road and dropped me. I fell on my back fortunately.
    I stared up at him, and he looked down and grinned, showing his teeth.
    "You jerk." I threw mud straight at his face.

A/n: hi guys!  Sorry it took so long to update! I have been so busy it's not even real. But here's a long update and I hope you guys like it. Comment vote, and recommend to your friends!!