Nerves

The next morning, Leah woke almost an hour after her alarm went off. Her dream, drawn around a certain client of hers was so hot for her nerves, she woke up with a moan and didn't dare close her eyes again. Definitely not a dream to share with Nano. She reached for her alarm clock and sat up with a start when she realized the time. Leah grabbed her toothbrush and jumped into the shower. God knows she needed one. Once that was over, she rolled her hair in a towel, then strolled into the kitchen in her bathrobe getting the coffee machine brewing while she went to change, except halfway crossing the hall, the doorbell rang. Leah almost tripped on her own wet feet as she ran into her bedroom, cursing herself for not getting dressed before. She tore the towel off her head, cringing as some hair became tangled, and put on the nearest clothes she could find as she ran to answer the incessant doorbell.

Leah opened the door so only her face peaked out, and the two policemen on her steps couldn't see what she was wearing. The detective, whom she knew, eyed her weirdly and she realized her stance looked suspicious from a policeman's point of view and reluctantly forced herself to open the door more inviting.

"Helloo, Det. Velasquez!" Leah managed to say to the man who was a frequent customer of the bank.

"Mornin' Miss Walters," Antonio tried, suppressing the smile. "You know your shirt's all wrong?"

Leah held the tag up close, as it was both inside out and back to front, and sheepishly chuckled.

Her friend did too.

"Sorry! I woke up late. What brings you here? Anything wrong at the bank?" The manager searched her mind for anything that could've happened last night, and didn't like the answers she found.

"My partner and I are responding to a call from this neighborhood. Something happened last night around 7pm. Anything stand out to you?"

"Hmm, I got done after closing last night late with a client. I walked back home and, well..."

"Something wrong, Miss Walters?" Officer Bennett asked as he readied his notepad.

"There were some boys following me and cat calling me, so I ran home really fast. In heels, mind you."

"Did you get a look at these boys?" Velasquez asked this time, his brows crushed down on his eyes and his mouth formed a frown that was a mix of worry and anger.

"Umm, the usual gang style. Hoodies and baseball caps."

"Sounds about right," noted Bennett to his superior, and Antonio seemed to relax, like he had nothing to worry about.

"Sorry?" Leah questioned with a brow arched up.

"The owner of the restaurant down the street reported some pretty wounded up hoodlums in the ally behind. You got yourself a guardian angel, Lee!" The detective's tone became perkier as he aimed to make his friend worry less.

No no no no no no!

"Sounds so," Leah forced a cheer on her voice. Was that what had come up last night? Oh Holy!

"This after hours client, did they see anything?" Officer Bennett routinely asked but Leah froze up, trying to come up with an answer.

"Umm, he left before I did, like is supposed to happen. I didn't see him when I left." Why oh why did she just lie to cops?! She had no loyalty to Mr. Evans. Did she?

"You okay, Lee?" Antonio asked worriedly.

"I'm-I'm fine. Just on edge from last night." That was true.