soup

lying in bed listening to the sounds of crickets and john lennon, my chlorine green hair stunk of summer, or sweat, whichever is more realistic. it stuck to the back of my neck, sprawled over my pillow, blew up slightly at the ends due to my rickety metal office fan and the ever present central air vents. that day was unusually good, i kept my breakfast down. eggs and toast, which normally would have sent me flying to the bathroom to kiss the bowl.

"you want some dinner?" jodi, my roommate, asked, popping her head into my room without knocking.
"yeah, can of soup or something. what do you want?" i asked, brushing my sheet off of my lower half and stepping on the linoleum tiles that lined the floor of my bedroom.

"that sounds nice. i think we have some tomato, or chicken noodle," she said, counting on her fingers the cans she brought home from the food bank.

you can bring home 10 a week in thurston county washington. she chose carefully among the slim pickings that were available on thursday's.

i didn't dream of living like this. i didn't tell my mom as a baby,
"mama, i wanna grow up and be a starving musician who gets her food for free!" of course, i said the same fillers all kids do.

vet, police officer, rock star, and scuba diver at one point.

which everyone found very funny, as we lived in the midwest.

she emptied cans of soup into a pot and turned on the flame, sitting at the table in front of me.

we were cousins, and friends, and also roommates. so we were together a lot.

soup was poured into flowery bowls. spoons poured into mouths. days poured out into the open air, drifted through the open kitchen window.

"this girl stopped me on the street and asked me where i got my dress, and when i told her i made it, her jaw dropped." jodi said, her same filler conversation.

my dinner was a lump in my abdomen, set ablaze suddenly. it rose and rose, until it was dangerously close to my throat. i dropped my spoon on the tablecloth.

i furiously patted around for the plastic sandwich bag of club crackers in my pocket.

every pregnant lady and flight attendant can't be wrong, right?

"stomach acting up?" jodi asked. i nodded, shoving another cracker into my mouth.
"we need to get you to the doctor,"