Chapter 8

It wasn't until much later that night, when they were both lounging around on his bed, that Ethan decided to voice the concerns he'd been having about his girlfriend. He propped his head up on his hand as she laid there, flicking through her phone. He brushed a gentle hand through her hair and she leant into the warm touch unconsciously, humming in enjoyment. 

"Maya, what's going on inside that head of yours?" She turned over to face him, noticing the look on his face. She sat up slightly, a knot forming in her stomach at the concern in his eyes. She put on a faux smile, deciding to play dumb.

"What ever do you mean good sir?" She muttered, batting her eyelashes at him.

"Maya." He deadpanned, unamused by her antics. She groaned, pulling away from his hands in irritation.

"Come on Ethan, let's not be serious. I don't want to think. I just want to live."

"I get that Maya. But at the same time, I care for you and want you to be happy. To be honest, right now, I don't think you're happy." She sat straight up at that, and glared at him expressionless. He sat up with her and gave her a cautious stare. 

"I've never been happier." He gave her a sarcastic look, obviously seeing through her bullshit. She sighed, and melted a bit, unable to keep up her ruse.

"Alright, fine. Maybe I miss my friends, at the same time, I like the people we hang out with. Sure, maybe I miss my mom, at the same time, she caused all the problems in my life. She was an absent mother, caring more about herself than her own daughter. I get she was going through a hard time, but so was I. My father had abandoned me, and my mother did too. She might of been there physically, but she was gone in every other way." Her boyfriend watched her in silence, before placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Well, you got me now. Bad things aren't going to happen to you." She grinned, and scrunched up her nose. She gave a quick peck before curling up against him, their bodies fitting together like jigsaw pieces. She sighed lightly, mulling over next few words carefully.

"Bad things are always going to happen. Just make me feel better when they do."

"Well that, I can certainly do." He replied smiling softly at the blonde angel curled up next to him.

##########

"Maya. Maaaaayyyyya. Maya, c'mon. You've got detention today." She moaned at the intrusion on her good eight hours of sleep. She scooted away from his poking, wanting more than anything to never have to leave their bed ever again.

"It's Saturday Ethan. Saturday is for sleeping." He chuckled in amusement before crouching so he could look at her eye to eye.

"Maya, you don't really have a choice. Look, come on, you get up and I'll make you breakfast." He bargained, and the thought of his french toast finally pulled her from her dreams.

"Ughhh, fine. Just know I'm not happy about this." He laughed at that, wandering away to start dinner. She exhaled in irritation before rolling over, and shoving a pair of shorts on. She yawned she pulled one of his Henley's on, the fabric swallowing her form. She dragged a comb through her hair, wincing as it caught on the knots in her mane. 

"You know this is all your fault." She teased as she walked up behind Ethan in the kitchen, wrapping her arms around his midsection. He hummed lightly, allowing her to steal a slice of strawberry from where he'd prepped them as a topping.

"Oh yeah, and how do you figure that?"

"You're a bad influence." She whispered, leaning up and gently biting his earlobe before giggling and walking towards the kitchen table. He shook his head in amusement,