Chapter 1

It was a grueling 4 hour drive, filled with arguing either from my dad and my step-mom; or my siblings; or there was just plain silence. But not the comfortable kind, which was even worse than the bickering.

The reason for our relocation was me. I had done some horrible things the previous year that forced us to move, including getting expelled. Unfortunately for my family, the next closest high school was in Plainview: 4 fucking hours away.

While I was pretty content on moving, my two siblings and my dad and step-mom had different emotions. My two 12-year-old twin brothers shared their surprise and sadness; my step-mom couldn't have cared less; and my dad was beyond furious. To make things worse for my brothers, my step-mom and dad had been starting to argue.

Me? I was hoping the bitch would just leave us already.

The car came to a stop in front of a double story house with a similar style to all the other houses around the neighbourhood: creamy white walls wrapped around the house, topped off with a dark blue roof. The fence in front of the house was white and picketed to protect the perfectly shaped plants in the gardens facing opposite each other, making the whole house seem like a dolls house. I got out of the car with my bag full of clothes and craned my neck to look up, marvelling at its size. I spotted a window up in what looked to be the attic and smirked.

"I call top room!" I shouted, running into the house. Behind me, I could hear my two brothers shouting in annoyance as I dashed up the stairs and into the top most room. It was too big to be an attic and definitely spacious enough to be a room. There were a lot of cobwebs and dust, along with a large, circular window facing the street out the front of the house.

I dropped my bag on the wooden floor and walked to the window, taking in the nice view. Across the street stood a similar looking house with a rectangular window, level with my one in the attic. I spotted a boy through the window twirling what looked like a drum stick, laying on his bed. He looked in his late teens; had messy, curly dark brown hair; and a boyish charm about his look. His room looked like a mini party room, cluttered with mess. He sat up slowly and put his drumstick down, turning his head towards his window facing our house.

Feeling embarrassed that I was basically spying on this boy, I turned my head away from the window followed by my back, making my way back down the stairs and towards the car to grab the rest of my things.

"Have you chosen your room?" Dad mumbled, opening the trunk of the car to reveal the boxes we had packed in there this morning. I nodded in response and he gave me a quick glance. "Well, I hope we all like it here."

I looked at him and gave a small sigh as the truck with all our furniture pulled up in front of the house. "I'm sure we'll get used to it," I said, trying to be hopeful.

-/-

After a few hours of unpacking my necessities and setting up my room with my bed in the middle of the room; my desk against the wooden wall, along with my laptop, headphones and two little succulents, with the window right above it; my dresser drawers opposite from my bed; my full length mirror positioned to the right, on the wall, next to my desk; and my boxes to be unpacked later in the back corner of the room. I huffed out a breath and marvelled at my handiwork. It may have looked super basic in that moment, but I knew that soon it'd look and feel just like my old room.

I looked at myself in the mirror, taking in my messy, black hair and dull, grey eyes. My thick, winged eyeliner somehow managed to stay on my sweaty face, along with my heavy mascara. I wore a plain, black singlet and a grey checkered flannel with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows; light blue, denim jeans with the knee parts ripped open showed my fishnet stockings; all matched with a pair of plain, black converses. I examined my silver nose ring and my plain, black choker wrapped around my neck as well as my black paracord bracelet on my right wrist along with a couple of hair ties, and my plain black watch on my left and sighed. No wonder people hated me. I looked like a depressed little shit.