epilogue

addison looked at grayson. "grayson, can we talk for a moment?"

"hm? oh yeah, sure. whats up?" he replies. excitement doesn't dance in his eyes like it used to.

i sit down next to him. "do you remember that day down by the park? you wanted to take me out on our first official date, so you planned a picnic at the park?"

"and i didn't check the weather, but it began to rain." he smiles.

"yeah, and it was like really bad." she giggles.

"man you looked like a reversed mop!" he laughs genuinely.

she laughs too. "yeah, that day." addy says as they calm the laughter. she places her hand on his. "that day, even though we'd been dating for two months before, that was the day i knew i loved you."

"really?"

"yeah. everything seemed perfect. you didn't let the rain stop you from having the perfect first date. instead, you decided we'd dance around. and when we fell in the mud, your face was so close to mine. and you kissed me for the first time."

he smiles genuinely. "i think i had a chunk of mud in my mouth."

we both laugh softly. "anyway, in that moment. i knew i loved you. because you were always the one who could make a bad day, a good one."

"but, you didn't love me."

addy shakes her head slowly. "i did. i was in love with you. but, there was also your brother."

"yeah."

"and every moment he seemed to creep into my heart, i tried to ignore it. i tried to shut it out. i tried to turn away from it."

"but you loved him too, didn't you?"

"yeah."

he nods. "alright."

"you will always be my first true love, though grayson. and nothing about that will change. i will always love you."

grayson leans in and kisses her cheek. "i will always love you too, addison."

they hug. and it starts to down pour. they laugh and dance around. ethan came outside to call them in, but addy pulled him into their dance.

grayson stepped back to laugh.

in that moment, he saw how much she loved him. she saw the look that she gave him. because she used to give him that look too.

and in that moment, he knew that he couldn't be jealous and upset. he decided that it was okay.

because after all, if you really love something, you should let it go.