Tied Together, You and I

Ocean waves breathe as the light breeze carry the small wooden boat down its wonders of tales. Two girls, no older than ten, laugh with joy. Followed by cheerful curiosity about what's on the other side of the sea. They look up to the horizon, capturing the sky with its glorious colours. The colours blend into each other, like paint gliding over the surface of a canvas.

The sound of flapping wings a group of birds swoops down dancing around the two girls. The girls were fascinated, eye widens they could nearly pop. Each of them held their hand out to the sunset revealing their friendship bracelet: loosed, hoping they grow into it over time. It was wrapped with colourful string and beads spread apart tied and holding each other together just like they have for years from the best to the worse of times. A shout from the shore echoed in the air,

"Annabelle"

"Gabrielle"

The shout startles them rocking the boat back and forth causing Gabrielle's bracelet to slip off her wrist into the water slowly dropping into the sea floor. They watch as it sinks as it was too late to grab it before tipping over. The girls look into each other knowing their joy was coming to an end. They switch directions towards the shore, slowly but surely. The bracelet rides the boat's ripples heading for shore. Time felt as if it was slowing down, the beautiful surreal painted sky dull in the eyes of the girls. They finally reach shore, not wanting to get off the boat but got the strength to do so. In front of them their families; their papa, their mama, the siblings old and young. The family scrambles to pack their belongings into the truck, pushing the remainders of what they could ever squeeze in.

Just as the ocean and land are tied together by the grains of sand, the two girls knew they couldn't be apart. The girls didn't move an inch away from their small wooden boat. Kicking in the sand with their heads down, knowing this day would come, but wished never had.

Gabrielle's papa walked up alongside the two girls.

A smile slowly rises on his face and he bends down to the girls' height. He placed his hand on his daughter's chin, looking into her eyes to lift up her spirits.

"I know, it's hard for you. It ain't any easier for me either, but us moving gon' be good for us."

Gabrielle looks away, not listening to a word her father says. Anything he said would be a lie. Nothing good can ever come from moving away from her best friend. She looks at her wrist, remembering her bracelet that tied them together was lost at sea. The father notices the naked wrist, knowing that this day was only getting worse for his daughter. He looks up the and sees the sun slowly crawls down behind the lake's plain.

"Come on now, we better get goin'. Getting dark soon."

The two girls slowly follow Gabrielle's father to the overloaded 'metal of junk' her mother always called it. They huff and breathe out a single puff of air and hugged each other, for what seems to be for dear life. Their eyes start to tear, they tried to stay strong for each other, but couldn't hold on much longer. They look into each other watery eyes, eyes that could be mistaken for the sea itself.

"I'll miss you!"

"I'll miss you, too!"

They let go of each other knowing Gabrielle would have to go. As she boards on the truck, Annabelle leaps behind and hug one last time. Annabelle, stared over her bracelet and takes it off to hand it over to Gabrielle. Knowing she will need it more than her. Gabrielle heist but grabbed the bracelet knowing their friendship would last forever. They split apart from each other as she closes the metal door losing sight of each other by the minute; the door click and either couldn't see another.

The truck's motor roar loud in the sky, the wheels spin taking off with the only person Annabelle consider the only and best friend she ever had. She waved until the truck hid behind the trees ahead. Annabelle's papa walked up and held her hand and soon began everyone else followed to walk down the dirt road home.

Multiple letters, some in stacks and a few photos sent back and forth to each other knowing one day they'll meet once more. Annabelle decided to take a journey down memory lane. She walked down the dirt road from home holding the first letter in her hand. After years of changing and discovering herself as a person. Opened herself for others, made great friend down the line, no one could replace the friendship she had as a child. She treasured that dearly and was grateful for a wonderful person like Gabrielle in her life. As she got to the end of the dirt road she looked up over the horizon. Beautiful as she can remember. Vibrant warm colours with a drop of a blue and purple painted the clouds. Underneath the sun glows illuminating it's glorious light, warming everything it touches. Lost in the haze of such beauty she decided it's enough and time to leave. As she did a glance peak her eye. Piles of woods compacted together, holding each other afloat. It was their old wooden boat resting there underneath the branches' cool shades. Surprised their old boat seemed to still be intact and also in good shape. . . as much as it did. Annabelle brushed off the remaining dirt pushed it over to the shore. Calm waves dance in the water a slight breeze, such a perfect day for one more ride. She boarded the boat, a tighter enclosed space as she remembers, but still enough room to move herself and her dress around the interior. The boat set off slowly into the sea guided by the waves' company. The boat settles in the sea, the sun shines brighter than ever; as the sky continues to paint its canvas. Annabelle sits loving every minute of nature surrounding her in its glory. As if the painting couldn't get any prettier, birds chirp and flew around her singing and praising the sun's guidance for a warmer future. Her eyes started to water only from joy in such beauty she was surrounded by. In the distance another bird, approaching towards the group of the others. As it flew closer it was bigger, fluffier than the rest; it lands its claws in front of Annabelle. It had something around its neck, Annabelle felt horrible for the poor thing, she leans ahead to assist the bird, but soon realize it was bread and colourful strains surrounding its neck.

"It can't be!?"

Gently releasing the bracelet from it. It cheered with joy! Spreading its wings, head up high pointing to the sky the sun behind it glow in between its feathers. Annabelle stared at the bracelet imagining how it could have ever returned to her after seeing it sink a decade ago. Doesn't matter at this point and time, a treasure was brought to her, from one of her happiest and saddest days of her life she couldn't be happier. She puts the bracelet on, fitting the wrist perfectly.

"Annabelle!"

Shouted from the shore. The birds chirp loudly in sympathy, the sun grew brighter behind Annabelle as she turns around hoping this day would come soon enough.