Chapter Four

Fourth Saturday

I sigh in relief as I am hit with the warm air of the cafe. Walking here in forty degree weather is not exactly fun. The breeze went right through my layers of clothing which kept me shivering the whole way here. I should have just driven.

Again, I am welcomed with a greeting from the working baristas and the quick glances of customers distracted by the chime of the door. More employees were working this morning, which surprises me since I arrived earlier than I did two weeks ago.

Last week, I got a call from my mom telling me my father was taken to the hospital because there was something off about his behavior. I flew back to Nessis City on friday and stayed at the hospital with my mom and little brother. Saturday night, we were finally given the information that my dad had stage three blood cancer. We were, and still are, so devastated. Tuesday afternoon, my mom encouraged me to fly back since I had already missed two days of classes and she didn't want me to become more behind. I hesitantly agreed, but I wish I could have stayed longer. My dad is supposed to be starting chemotherapy soon which makes me nervous but it's his best chance of survival.

Ever since the phone call, I have been emotionally and physically drained. Nothing sounds appealing. Everything is dull and unexciting and boring. It's like my life was full of color and brightness then switched to black and white. The life was completely sucked out of me.

I space out most of the time and can barely keep a conversation going. The last time I could was exactly a week ago while talking to my brother in the hospital's cafeteria. Honestly, I don't even know how I managed that. The past two days have been better but I'm still not the same.

I am awakened back into reality when someone tries squeezing past me out the door. I quickly apologize and make my way to the ordering counter of The Grind.

While waiting in the short, two person line, I scan the employees to see if Jack was here. To my disappointment, I couldn't find him in the clutter of workers. Hopefully I'll see him next Saturday.. or something.

Speaking of Jack, a flood of memories of this past week take up my mind. The beginning of last week, we had texted quite a bit. I was surprised to find that we had the same sense of humor so it was easy to keep a conversation going.

When I got the news, he continued to text me but my replies shortened and became more serious. I feel bad because I actually really like him but I just wasn't in the mood. When I didn't show up last week, he noticed and asked why but I just answered with 'family reasons'. Maybe if I see him today, I can explain.

After a few more minutes, I am still waiting in the same spot. Can they take any longer? I sigh and consider taking out my book but my thoughts are interrupted by the door chiming, once again. Without thinking much of it, I turn my head but realize it's Jack who is rushing through the door, running towards the counter. A smile reaches my face watching him tying up his apron, obviously in a hurry.

I cover my mouth as a giggle escapes, which causes Jack to look up. As soon as he spots me, he smiles wide and laughs along with me. Our private exchange is interrupted when his supervisor enters the room. Jack instantly gets to work, which leaves me bored again but a little happier than before.

Soon after, it's finally my turn to order, but all of the workers are occupied, so I am once again waiting. This time I get to watch Jack, which is probably somewhat creepy but I do it anyway. How does someone look so attractive while making a coffee? In a span of about twenty seconds, he finishes the order up and is walking towards me. I become flustered and my cheeks heat up because of my nervousness.

He smiles, "Hey, Grace. I'm happy you're back."

"Thanks, I'm happy you showed up. That entrance was quite dramatic," I giggle.