Chapter 4 - Sycho-Squares

I ambled outside and took a seat on the first bench I saw, putting my head in my hands. The backpack slumped on the bench beside me, my only friend.

The plan was working fantastically well so far, except that I had no idea where to go from here.

Exit HQ? Check.

Apply for Roosevelt College? Double check.

Try not to lose my marbles? Eh... Working on this one.

Brainstorming time.

August first was exactly one week away, giving me plenty of time to design a new identity for myself. There are one hundred sixty-eight hours in a week. Assuming an hour a day total would be spent eating and such, I'd be left with 161 hours. If I slept about eight hours a night, that'd leave me with approximately 105 hours.

One hundred five hours to design a brand new me. Possibly less.

This hot-off-the-plate identity would have to be a double one at that. One new Pepper Parker, and one new Spyder. Might have to trash the name, though. Definitely have to trash the name. It'd be a dead giveaway. Civilian Pepsi would need to act completely different from old civilian Pepsi, too. The new -insert cool hero name here- would also need to act completely different from the old Spyder.

There was a lot of work to be done. Multiple-self-altering processes wouldn't be a walk in the park.

For starters, new Pepper B. Parker would need to look and act different from what she looks and acts like now. Choppy bright red hair and sharp blue eyes wouldn't make the cut. I'd need a 'do that went above and beyond the term of different. Contacts would easily solve the eye color issue. Personality-wise? I'd have to be the opposite of the current. No one would suspect a thing. Playing bad-girl-jock wouldn't be fun, but I didn't have a choice.

If Mr. Phlame saw the new me, I'd have to tell him that I was in an accident. Or something stupid like that. Adults are gullible if one knows where to hit.

Spyder, though, would be a whole other story. The classic black-and-white would have to go. The name would have to be updated. Who she was and what she stood for were due for major revamping. I needed to get Phlame's attention through Spyder. Except I wouldn't be Spyder when I donned my new and still-in-the-works suit, I'd be Sychopath.

Mm. Nice ring to it.

Luckily, a place to sleep until then wasn't going to be a huge problem. There were numerous high yet safe nooks and crannies to snooze all over the city, if one knew where to look.

So an apartment wouldn't be an issue.

Traffic and security cameras might be, though. S.H.I.E.L.D. could hack those bad boys easy peasy and pinpoint my location in the blink of an eye. I'd be back in custody before I could throw a web.

What to do...?

My face would have to be concealed at all times, for starters. That left me with two options: a scarf and hoodie, or finally get around to remodeling that good old Spyder suit of mine. Even then, with the new costume, everyone would see me. All of S.H.I.E.L.D. would know who it'd be. So for now, Spyder would be benched.

I let out an abrupt laugh.

Benched.

I'm sitting on a bench.

I'm Spyder.

Formerly Spyder.

Currently Sychopath.

Whatever.

Benches...

Ignoring stares from passerby, I lowered my head and dug around for a scarf in my backpack. A few agonizing moments later, I had to accept the truth: no scarf. This meant that the hood-and-scarf method was also out of the question. A hood alone couldn't conceal my face well enough.

Which left... nothing.

No other options. I was out of ideas.

Dead end, Pepsi.

Back to square one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

And yes, I did eventually change. It wasn't all in my head.

This isn't Matrix, people.

PS: Sychopath isn't misspelled. I was going through a weird phase then, and (for some reason unbeknownst to anyone) chose that new alias. I figured it'd be symbolic, but not obvious.

Gosh, how wr-

Scratch that. I'll elaborate later. Banner and Stark want their coffees STAT.