2 - The Punishment

A/N: I already put a trigger warning on the description but in case you guys didn't read that, I'm gonna put one here. Don't read this if it could affect you in any way. With that being said, enjoy?

_________________________________

Lauren and I were basically inseparable the day she came into my life.

We would sleep on the same bed every night and wake up at the same time to watch the sunrise together. We would sit next to each other while eating at the huge dining table that no one, not even the mean kids, would jeopardize our rather dependent habit.

Sometimes, when luck seems to be absent and all of the chairs were occupied, we would sit on the same chair hip to hip, bumping each other's food that often elicit laughter from both our mouths.

School wasn't any different from home, we would always have breaks together. Even as she was a year older and a grade higher than me, it didn't stop her from spending her time with the probably lamest kid in school whenever she could.

And it's crazy if you ask me. I've seen her in her class - in her world - talking and capturing the attention of her large group of friends.

But every time the bell rung to indicate that we had a break from the long hours of monotonous voices coming out from our teachers' mouths, she would be waiting outside my class with a big smile that matches the glow on her eyes, then she would wrap her arms on mine as we walk outside.

She knew how uncomfortable I was to new people so she never brought her friends to hang with us. She tried once but it just ended with me looking down at my messily entangled fingers while I waited until they scurry away.

I couldn't help it. I was always uneasy at the slightest idea of communication and socializing.

And it's ironic since I lived with tons of kids.

I think it was because I was scared of the idea of people thinking I was weird if I opened up to them. What if I said something abnormal and foreign to them and they start to question my sanity.

So instead of going through with the possibility of that, I thought it was better if I was invisible. That way, they wouldn't look my way and notice my peculiarity.

Little did I know that not talking would result in that verdict too.

One time, a guy named Austin came and tried talking to me, pestering me into talking to him to the point of me fidgeting awkwardly. He saw it and pointed at me in front of all my peers, mentioning that I was odd.

I cried so hard that day.

Lauren eventually found out the reason as to why tears were endlessly pouring out of my eyes and came to him during break. She threatened him about breaking his apparently expensive toy if he kept that up.

He immediately stopped talking or even looked my way after that incident. If Lauren was anyone else, he would be deemed a pussy for being scared of a girl but it was Lauren and Lauren wasn't like any other girls. She was fearless and fierce. Strong and independent. Intelligent and honest. So honestly, I couldn't blame him for being terrified of her. She can be an angel when she wants and definitely a devil when she needed to.

I'm just happy that I was never the receiving end of her wrath.

Actually, if memory serves me right, I'm probably the only person she treated like a queen. I know what you think, isn't queen a tad bit exaggerating?