Chapter 14: Squirrel Soup

I pushed around the squirrel soup Daryl had prepared for the night. Carl, Beth, Hershel, Daryl, and I sat around one table, Glenn and Maggie sat at the other and Rick is talking with Michonne in her cell. It kinda worried me that he's all alone in a cell with that chick. She tried to strangle me not even two days ago. I sure as hell wouldn't trust her after that.

"You shouldn't play with your food." Carl's voice startled me and I dropped my spoon, making a clanging noise on the bowl.

I looked over to the young boy and laughed. "You're telling me this? You've barely touched your squirrel!" I pointed at Carl's bowl which held a decent sized piece of meat that sat in a pool of soup.

His face got red and he stared down at the bowl. "It tastes funny."

"It's food. You should eat it." Daryl spoke up with a low tone.

"You wanna be strong like your father right?" I asked, nudging him with my elbow softly.

"My dad's not strong. He's weak. He's been crying himself to sleep ever since mom died." Carl said.

I stared down at the boy. He hung his head low as he stared at the bowl, his face cold as stone. "Why would you say that?" I questioned.

"Cause he is. People who cry are weak." He spat at me.

I looked around at Beth, Hershel and Daryl hoping they had some advice for what I should say next, but they just stared at me waiting for an answer. Glenn and Maggie even stopped talking to listen in.

Carl has never really given anyone an attitude as far as I know. I was a little surprised by it. Plus, I've never had a child before so I don't exactly know how to react.

"He's not weak because he cries." I paused as Carl looked up at me. "You can cry whenever you want. It doesn't make you weak. It makes you stronger."

Carl stared up at me. His blue eyes stared into mine for awhile, creating a small staring contest between the two of us. He finally broke away and took a bite of his squirrel.

The clanking of utensils and chewing began again. Glenn and Maggie continued to talk in hushed voices at their own table. I smiled to myself with satisfaction and continued to gobble down the last of my squirrel.

Rick walked into the room and sat down in the middle of Carl and I. Before he spoke, he looked at each of us with his bright blue eyes that almost matched his sons. "I think we should let Michonne join our group."

My eyes widened. "Are you serious?! She tried to kill me!" I yelled out.

"I know, I know. She explained to me why she did it. She didn't know us and it was just self defense." Rick placed his hand on my shoulder trying to calm me down.

"Self defense? How was that self defense? I wasn't doing anything but watching over her and she attacked me."

"Yeah she knows that now. She said she was sorry." Rick let go of my shoulder and turned to Carl. "Are you done eating?"

"Yep." Carl smiled up at his father.

"Good. Go get some sleep." Rick patted Carl on the back before the fourteen year old boy skipped out of the kitchen and into the cell room.

Rick turned back to the rest of us. "So we're just gonna let her join the group?" Hershel asked him.

Rick nodded. "She seems like an okay person. She even volunteered to go on the next run."

I kept my mouth shut even though I knew how stupid that sounded. I knew if Rick let Michonne go on a run with us then she would most likely end up abandoning us. Who would really volunteer for that shit? Why would you risk your life for some group you don't know? It just doesn't make sense. There's something off about her.

"Well, I'm fucking tired." Daryl stood up. "Is Merle gonna be fine for the night?"

"Yeah. He just needed a little time away from the liquor." Hershel chuckled a little bit.

"Good. I'm heading to bed." Daryl walked his bowl back to the table that held all the dishes and food.

"I'm tired too." I stood up a little too quickly and carried my bowl over also. Daryl waited for me by the cell room door. "Night everybody!" I called out before we both headed inside the cell room.

Inside our cell, Daryl immediately sat down on the bed and pulled off his boots. He adjusted his white socks and then looked up at me. "Whatcha starin at?"

"Nothing." I shook my head and sat down next to him. I did the same thing and pulled my boots off.

I hunched over and just stared down at my feet. I'm exhausted. We didn't do much today but I feel like I ran ten miles. My legs are sore and my arms feel like jello. Ugh.

"Ellie?" Daryl called out. I turned to look at him only to notice he was laying down now. "You OK?"

I wiped my grimy face with my hands and sighed. "Yeah, I'm just, tired."

"Well, why don't you lay down next to me." He said.

I wiped my face again and then cuddled  up next to Daryl. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close. I laid my head on his shoulder and stared up at the ceiling.

"Rick and I got to talking earlier while cooking the squirrel," Daryl started off. "He thinks we should attack Brannon's group."

I shifted my head so our eyes met. "Attack?"

"Yeah, he said he knows where they are and we could end this, just the two of us."

"Just the two of you? No way." I tried to pull away from Daryl but he held on tightly.

"Ellie." His voice was stern now. "This guy killed Lori. I thought Rick just wanted revenge but he hurt you too. I know he would've done terrible things to you if you hadn't escaped."

Daryl made some good points. I want Brannon dead too, I just don't want Daryl and Rick to go alone. One of them could get captured or worse, killed.

"You should take a group." I stated.

"It's quicker if it's just us. Plus, we don't need to risk anyone's life." He said.

"But you'll risk yours." I pouted. I knew I was being stupid trying to fight this. I knew Daryl was going to go either way but I just don't want him to.

Daryl's hand cupped the right side of my face. He pulled me close so our lips pressed against each other. It was a short but passionate kiss. When he pulled away, we continued to keep eye contact. "I'll be fine." He whispered.

I nodded, quickly giving up the fight. I snuggled back into his chest and slowly closed my eyes.