2: FIRE ON CABIN ISLAND

The first appearance of the blue hardback Picture Cover books was in the mid-1960s, replacing the older style hardbacks that had illustrated paper dust jackets

The first appearance of the blue hardback Picture Cover books was in the mid-1960s, replacing the older style hardbacks that had illustrated paper dust jackets. The original canon of the first 40 Hardy Boys titles were reprinted every year, after their original publication, from the late 1920s through the year 2000, often multiple printings per year.  Most of the original 40 titles were shortened, revised, and updated during the late 1960s and 1970s. Most of the first 40 titles had two story versions (original and revised) published in the original blue picture cover edition with the matte finish binding. Some of those also had two different-art covers, and two different-art end papers. Collecting the PCs can be as confusing as collecting the hardbacks with dust jackets. But there are many Internet websites that can help you with that.

Back on Barmet Bay ...

The Hardy boys' trim-lined ice-boat bore down on the larger one as they raced along the ice-bound bay. Joe peered ahead and saw the steersman of the other craft turn around and glare at them with an angry sneer.

"That's Ike Nash driving that boat, for sure," Joe shouted to his brother. "The other fellow has got to be Tad Carson."

Frank nodded, working his tiller as the boat hurtled forward at a terrific speed. "Mark my words, those two trouble makers had something to do with that fire back there."

"It sure looks like it," Callie agreed, holding onto the side of the boat. "Everyone else is going out to the island. They're running away from it. But how did they get a new ice-boat so quickly? Didn't Hanleigh crack up their boat in the blizzard last week?"

She was referring to a Mr. Hanleigh who had been harassing the Hardy boys and their chums during their holiday on Cabin Island. He had known about the hidden stamp collection and was trying to find it and steal it. Tad Carson and Ike Nash had helped him by driving him out to the island several times in their ice-boat.

The trouble-prone boys had begun to suspect that Hanleigh was up to no good, and so demanded a higher payment to take him out to the island. In an attempt to outsmart them, Hanleigh had stolen their boat one day and set off for Cabin Island alone. A raging blizzard had ensued and he cracked up the ice-boat beyond repair close by the island. The Hardy boys and their chums had heard his cries for help and were able to rescue him from the storm.

"Hanleigh gave the boys the money to buy a new ice-boat," Frank told Callie, "so they wouldn't press charges against him for stealing the other one."

"Right." Joe nodded in agreement. "And in just a couple days they had that swell new one sailing out on the bay, making everyone else green with envy."

Callie smiled. "You two don't look green at all."

Frank hooted. "We wouldn't be jealous of those two morons if they owned the Taj Mahal!"

"You can say that again," uttered Joe. "But it sure jars my noggin that they were helping Hanleigh to bother us at the island, and then they end up the better for it."